Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
Introduction : Who is Roberta Gonzales ?
- Roberta Gonzales is an Emmy award-winning, ball of energy who has been giving the population of San Francisco the daily weather update for more than two decades.
- Now a member of the American Meteorological Society, Roberta is involved in numerous charitable organizations & has earned her fair share of titles including “Woman of the Year” and “Best Weathercast”.
Early Life :
- Roberta grew up with her parents, Jose Edwardo and Esther Gonzales, and her elder brother, Edward, and baby brother, Michael, in Barstow, California.
- Growing up, Sundays were always dedicated to Spanish Mass and family.
- She studied Liberal Arts at the San Diego State University.
Married Life & Children :
- Roberta now lives in Pleasanton, where she is a married mother of two.
- Her husband is Randy Hahn, Play-by-Play reporter for San Jose Sharks, the pair were wed in 1986.
- Her sons, Randall and Michael, are both adults now.
- Her youngest seems to be following her footsteps and graduated from the University of Oklahoma in May 2017 with a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication.
Early Career Stint :
- Eager to begin her career, Roberta started out as a messenger & gardener on KPRI FM and XETV Channel 6 while still at college.
- Soon enough, she was appointed Film Editor & later moved to KGTV as an Assistant Film Director.
- Her onscreen weather forecasting breakthrough came while working at KGTV.
- During her early career Roberta also reported on KSBY, San Luis Obispo, KFMB, San Diego and KNTV, San Jose where she presented the Weekend Weather.
- In 1989 Roberta moved from California to Chicago and became the Weather Anchor and Reporter for NBC 5, WMAQ-TV, she stayed with the news station for just over 7 years.
Roberta Gonzales CBS Stint :
- In 1996 Roberta began her long-term associated with CBS where she continued to anchor and present the local weather forecast.
- Over 20 years, with the San Francisco based station Roberta has appeared as the Weather Anchor for the Early Edition and Noon Newscast and Weekday Weather Anchor for Eyewitness News.
- In the same year, Roberta left NBC 5 she also joined KCBS Radio where she still anchors the midday and evening weather shows.
Tragedy & Trivia :
- Sadly both of Roberta’s brothers died young. Michael, aged 15 was shot by a female classmate on June 27, 1982, just before Roberta’s 21st birthday.
- Her elder brother passed away on July 10, 2013.
- 3 years later, on November 10, 2016, at the age of 80, Roberta’s father also passed away after battling with colon cancer.
- She posted a touching obituary in memory of her late father on her Facebook page saying, “My heart is full of hope, love, and peace knowing my father is now at home with them and my mother. He is happy.”
- The energetic meteorologist also has at least 30 marathons and 5 Ironman competitions under her belt! She completed her first 10km race in 1996.