|Personal Information Summary|
|Name||Dr Kerry Chant|
|Age / How old / Birthday / Date of Birth / DOB||No confirmation information is avialable.|
|Wedding & Marriage / Husband / Spouse / Partner||Married. Check the full bio for relationship details.|
|Who is Dr Kerry Chant?||In 2008, Kerry Gai Chant became the chief health officer for New South Wales, Australia.|
|Children / No. of Kids||None|
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race||White|
- Since 2008, Dr Kerry Chant has been the Chief Health Officer at the New South Wales Health Department.
- As an Australian Public Health doctor, Dr Kerry is a well-known public health physician famous for her work in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- Dr. Chant grew up in Punchbowl, a suburb southwest of Sydney. Now, she lives in the suburb of Epping in the north-west of Sydney.
- Before opting to study medicine, she used to work in retail jobs and a pharmacy. She had worked part-time at Mr Whippy and for Grace Bros in the furniture department. Dr Chant says that her work in a pharmacy helped her a lot when she started practising medicine.
- Currently, there is little personal information available on the internet about Dr Kerry. Also, she has no public social media profile.
- However, in a July 2021 Daily Mail article, Dr Kerry mentioned that both her husband and mother-in-law had taken the AstraZeneca vaccine. This suggests she might be married. She made this statement to encourage NSW residents who were waiting for the Pfizer vaccine and shying away from AstraZeneca, despite its availability.
- Later, in August 2021, another Daily Mail article mentioned that Dr Chant was a married woman with three children.
Education : Qualifications, High School & College Info
- In 1980, Dr. Kerry Chant graduated from Danebank Anglican School for Girls. It is a school for girls, located in Hurstville, a suburb of Sydney.
- In 1987, she earned her MBBS from the University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney).
- Following her MBBS, Dr. Kerry also earned a ‘Masters in Health Administration’ and a ‘Master of Public Health’ in the years 1991 and 1995, respectively.
Career, Job, Salary and Net Worth :
- Since 1991, Dr Kerry has been working in infectious disease prevention, virus infections and control, and indigenous health with the New South Wales Health Department.
- In 2008, Dr Kerry was promoted to a Chief Health Officer position at New South Wales Health Department. She still holds this position to date.
- In 2021, NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet had allegedly suggested to Dr Chant that she should take a salary cut if Sydney or its suburbs were placed in unnecessary lockdown in response to the pandemic.
Awards and Recognition :
- Dr. Kerry Chant was honoured with the NSW Premier’s “Woman of the Year Award” in March 2021. It is the highest honour at the NSW Women of the Year Awards held in Sydney every year. She was also honoured with the “Woman of Excellence Award” by the same organisation.
- The Premier of NSW, Gladys Berejicklian, congratulated Dr Chant on her accolades and contribution during the COVID-19 pandemic. She also recognised that Dr Kerry had been a familiar face in the health sector, offering vital health information to the public.
- In 2021, the Minister for Women, Bronnie Taylor, congratulated Dr Kerry on guiding the State in pandemic conditions. Bronnie also noted that Kerry was an inspiration for all women due to her leadership qualities and dedication to her responsibilities as a public health official.
- Dr. Kerry has published detailed research and literature on children’s health and nutrition, focusing especially on childhood obesity.
- In 2020, the University of New South Wales (UNSW) bestowed Dr Kerry with the 2020 Chancellor’s Award for Exceptional Alumni Achievement.
- In 2015, she was awarded the Public Service Medal. She is also the recipient of Queen’s Birthday Honours for outstanding public service to population health in New South Wales.