Elaine Chappelle is best known as the wife of legendary comedian Dave Chappelle.
Education & Family Details:
- Elaine was born on 31 August 1974 in Brooklyn, New York.
- Her full name at birth was Elaine Mendoza Erfe, and was born as the child of Philippino immigrants.
- Her parents had immigrated to the US shortly prior to her birth, in the hopes of being able to build a better life.
- She married comedian Dave Chappelle in 2001, and the two have 3 children. They have two sons, Sulaymana Chapelle and Ibrahim Chapelle, and a daughter named Sonal Chapelle.
- The couple is raising her family on a 65 acre ranch in Yellow Springs, Ohio, and has stated that she loves their property as it is surrounded by cornfields and is relaxing.
Marriage & Dave Chappelle Children
- Elaine married Dave Chappelle in early 2001, after a quick courtship.
- Although little is known about Elaine, it has been stated that she initially was hesitant to date him, as she was not used to people with loud personalities. But she then recognised he was loud to hide shyness, and the two fell in love quickly.
- Just prior to their marriage, Dave converted to Islam, which he states is a big part of his life.
- She had been raised a Christian her entire life and refused to give up her religion. The two live together well, and often debate religion in a respectable way.
Dave Chappelle Drug Problems :
- In 2005, her husband decided to step away from his career due to not dealing thoroughly with the death of his father, and decided to do so in South Africa to be closer to his heritage.
- This led to an onslaught from the media who accused Chappelle of leaving his wife, of being a drug addict and of relying on medication.
- Elaine was reported to have been shocked by the negative attention, and encouraged her husband to remain in South Africa as she did not believe him to be strong enough to deal with the media’s comments.
Interesting Facts, Height & Trivia :
- She briefly appeared in a backstage segment of ‘The Age of Spin: Dave Chappelle Live at the Hollywood Palladium 2017’, and her husband dedicated the entire show to her.
- Through her marriage she has a net worth of $50+ million.
- As of 2017, she manages a number of rental properties that her husband has purchased across Ohio.
- Prior to her marriage, she dreamed of being a chef. After she had children, she decided she would get greater pleasure from remaining at home with them.
- Her husband has been quoted as saying that because she doesn’t work professionally as a chef, she gets to use her cooking talents on her family and as a result they regularly eat like kings.
- Dave and Elaine have been praised as a positive role model for bi-racial couples.