Jake Brewer wanted a bipartisan and passionate exchange of ideas, which benefit society through efficient reforms and a streamlined technologically savvy government.
Tragic Death :
- Jake was participating as a cyclist for Ride to Conquer Cancer in September 2015, in honor of his close friend. However, he lost control of his bicycle at a sharp curve and collided with an oncoming car and died on scene.
- President Obama said that Brewer was “One of the best … who was armed with a brilliant mind, a big heart, and an insatiable desire to give back. He devoted his life to empowering people and making government work better for them.”
Personal Life : Childhood & Education
- Brewer, who was born in Columbia, Tennessee, grew up on his family farm in America’s heartland in Freeland, Michigan.
- During his youth, he was always playing football, tennis, and running cross-country and track.
- He also enjoyed photography since middle school, and always had a camera ready for big moments.
- A graduate of Vanderbilt and Beta Theta Pi fraternity, Jake graduated with a Psychology major. Then he attended the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Jake had a wide range of passions: cycling, photography, singing, dancing, hiking, and social technology, and was referred to by his friends as a “renaissance man.”
Married & Family Life :
- Jake first met his future wife Mary Katharine Ham at a Washington panel discussion on media and politics, and gave her the ‘let’s get a drink sometime’ line and e-vites to future tech policy luncheons, but they all went unnoticed!
- Then, they ran into each other shortly after at a Mexican restaurant and she introduced herself again.
- They went on a dinner date, and afterwards ended up playing ping pong until 4 am. The rest, they say, is history, and they got married in 2011.
- The unlikely bipartisan relationship defined their jobs, but they ensured it didn’t define their home.
- Mary is an author, journalist, and political commentator for Fox News, and editor-at-large for Hot Air. They went to have a daughter, Georgia, and a son, Garnet.
- He was described by his family as fierce, tender, and full of joy, with an ever-present twinkle in his eye.
Career, Net Worth & Professional Life :
- Starting out at the Sunlight Foundation leading communications and campaigns and with the Energy Action Coalition, Brewer mobilized voters to lobby for clean energy reform and open government.
- Then he worked for Fission as the Chief Strategy Officer, designing improvements to online Veteran employment and reframing immigration debates with co-founder Jose Antonio Vargas in Define American.
- Later, his work took him from the Persian Gulf to Mongolia and then to Washington D.C.
- Brewer became a White House staffer & loved his job working with a diverse set of people and attempting to further social justice on a large scale.
- He was known for his ability to see potential and beauty where others did not, working with Change.org and Define American, and crossing party lines for the benefit of society.