Teresa Fidalgo is a fictional character created by the Portuguese producer and filmmaker David Roberdão. She appears in a ghost video that went viral via social media in 2014.
Back Story : Who is Teresa Fidalgo
- Teresa’s character is based on the Resurrection of Mary, a legend in which a spirit gets people to pick her up from the side of the road, and La Larona, a story in which Lorana turns gruesome when people see her.
- Teresa is a mix of these two – a character who gets picked up, as a hitchhiker, from the side of a Portuguese road. After a short while, she points to a spot on the road, telling her companions that it is where she died two years previously.
- The camera then pans back to her face, suddenly showing her with the face of a corpse.
- The story can be categorised as “A White Lady” story, which typically involves a female ghost that haunts a rural area after a traumatic accident.
- In an archetypal White Lady story, the incident usually involves the betrayal of her husband or fiancé and the result of seeing such a ghost is a sign that a family member will die.
The Viral Video :
- Fidalgo’s video was made by the Portuguese producer and filmmaker David Roberdão.
- The video went viral in 2014, even though it had been made a decade earlier in 2004.
- The name of the video is A Curva and the style of the video is reminiscent of horror films such as Blair Witch Project, being shot in a found-footage type style. A Curva is twelve minutes long and can be found on YouTube.
- Widely popular, it has over 20 million views.
Role in Current Culture :
- Despite the Internet being run amok with ghost stories, this one hit harder than most, managing to scare many impressionable teenagers on social media worldwide.
- The belief that Teresa’s story was attached to an actual car crash in Portugal probably spurred this, along with the claim that Googling her story would prove her existence.
- The video was spread with threats of peoples’ mothers dying if it was not shared and stating that the ghost, i.e. Teresa Fidalgo, would sleep with them forever.
Interesting Facts, Height and Trivia :
- The success of the video surprised the producer, who has since hoped to get funding to produce more scripted films.
- Even ghosts seem to fall victim to auto-corrections, being called ‘Teresa Dialog’ in some posts.
- Other films made by the video’s director David Roberdão include Killies (2015) and Jogo Maldito (2013), which are also both short horror films. He has also co-directed a feature-length film named RPG: Real Playing Game (2013), together with Tino Navarro. La Curva was the second short film made by the director.
- Teresa Fidalgo 1983 Car Accident : There are police records of a Teresa Fidalgo who died in a car crash in Portugal in 1983. However, since the video went viral, the producer has also publically admitted that the story of Teresa Fidalgo the ghost is fake, debunking the myth once and for all.