Fish Names in English / Marathi to English Fishes
Fish is a huge part of the Maharashtrian food culture, We have summarised the names of the most important fishes in English, to help you navigate the recipes in the English language.
Pronunciation has also been added for some fish names to help pronounce correctly these words.
- Surmai in English – Seer Fish
- Bangada – Mackarel (Pronounced as मॅकेरेल )
- Khekada / Khekde – Crab
- Bombil – Bombay Duck
- Shingala – Catfash
- Paplet in English – Pomfret
- Mandeli Fish in English – Anchovy
- Tarli / Tarlya – Sardine
- Kolmbi / Kolambi – Prawns
- Rani Masa – Goatfish
- Kalva – Oysters
- Kupa Masa / Kupa Fish in English – Tuna
- Halva Fish – Black Pomfret
- Mushi Masa – Shark Fish
- Sukat Fish Javala / Jawla – Baby Prawns (dried)
- Suki karandi in English – Tiny Prawns (dried)
- Suke Bombil – Dried bombay duck
- Rawas Fish English Name – Indian Salmon
If you want to know more fish names, feel free to ask in the comments.