Wikipedia Information / Bio Profile
- Catherine Southon is a British antiques expert & television presenter, mostly known for her appearances on the BBC network, especially the Bargain Hunt show.
Catherine Southon Family, Children, Education & Personal Life
- Born in 1972, Southon developed a passion for auctions from a young age.
- She has stated that it was auctions alone that led her to work in this field & that her love of antiques grew later due to continually being surrounded by them.
- Living in Bromley, London, Catherine works at raising her two children while still pursuing her interests in the antiques industry.
- She jokingly refers to her children as ‘not so little’ when she is asked about them.
Early Career :
- Southon has worked in this industry for over 20 years and initially began by working at Sotheby’s . Her first role there was cataloguing sales within the Collectors department.
- From there, she moved into the role of Head of Scientific Instruments and Maritime Works of Art.
- She was responsible for cataloguing numerous sales throughout her time at Sotheby’s , but her most well-known was the prestigious sale of The Time Museum in both London and New York.
- After an influential 8 years with Sotheby’s , Southon moved on to find success as a general freelance valuation expert for quite some time.
Catherine Southon Net Worth, Salary & TV Career :
- After landing a role with the BBC, she became quite well-known as an expert amongst their Antique Programmes.
- Her most notable TV appearances include: – Bargain Hunt, Flog It!, Antiques Road Trip, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, and & Trade Secrets
- Prank : During her time on Antiques Road Trip, she became an Internet sensation due to the scream she emitted when a prank was pulled on her while filming. Catherine and the camera crew were visiting the area of Wilton Somerset to discuss some objects in the Bakelite Museum when a tie sprang at her from an old machine. She quoted that ‘At the time, I honestly believed it was a snake.’
Branching into Other Businesses :
- In 2012, Southon established her own auction house, Catherine Southon Auctioneers and Valuers PTD.
- Initially with a business plan that included just two auctions a year, she quickly increased to 6 Fine Art and Antiques Auctions a year due to public interest.
- She is known for delivering interesting and exceptional quality art sourced from local collectors.
- Her favourite item sold under her own auction house was a set of Victorian Silver Salts, which were formed to resemble kangaroos. These sold for 18,000 pounds.
Interesting Facts :
- Relatively new to the Twitter universe (joined in June 2015), Catherine tweets under the handle of @SouthonAuction and has 10,000+ followers there.
- She has stated that she is not a collector of anything, but she does appreciate a fine gavel if she comes across one.
- Her interests lay in the areas of Modern British Art and fine early silver.