Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Dion Lim is an anchor and reporter for KGO-TV, an ABC owned station in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Dion is also a published writer with few articles on Amy Poehler’s website Smart Girls and on Huffington Post. She is also signed on with literary agency Full Circle Literary.
- She is also known for Dion’s Daily Deals, one of the most read blogs from ABC Kansas City, which not only discovered but also launched the extreme couponing craze.
Early Life & Education :
- Born to immigrant parents (one from Hong Kong and the other from Taiwan), Dion was encouraged to speak proper English at a young age. Her parents would sit her in front of the TV to watch ABC’s 20/20, and she would also listen to audiobooks.
- Consequently, Dion became fascinated with broadcasting, and TV personalities such as Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters became her inspiration. Her high school teachers/mentors gave her a head start as a student reporter.
- Lim graduated from Emerson College with a Bachelors in Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Science.
- Her father was a chemist, and Dion felt that she had to appease her family by doing a Science-based degree, but she admitted she didn’t have the aptitude for it.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Dion’s career started while she was still a senior in college. She was a general assignment reporter with NBC/CW+ affiliate, WWLP-TV, in Springfield, MA, driving two hours round trip each day to work and juggling her work shifts with college!
- She moved to ABC affiliate, KMBC-TV, in Kansas into the role of weekday morning anchor, a role she excelled in for three years. Here, she was the first Asian-American to anchor a weekday newscast and was also named ‘Best Morning Anchor’ in Kansas City by Pitch Magazine.
- Her next appointment was as primary anchor and reporter for WCNC-TV (NBC Charlotte) in 2010. She covered major news events such as the Democratic National Convention and also entertainment events and red carpet interviews.
- Dion moved on to become anchor and reporter for WTSP-10 News, the CBS affiliate in Tampa Bay, before moving to KGO-TV in October 2017.
Relationship & Engagement :
- Dion is married to a professional poker player, Evan Panesis. They met when Evan skipped class one day after playing poker all night, and Dion was snooping around in his neighborhood backyards, putting together a story about crime in the area.
- She got a sound-bite out of Evan, who later contacted her after the news. They went out on a date and hit it off immediately.
- Dion knew Evan was about to propose since she found the ring that he had hidden. He proposed by getting one of their dogs, Georgie, to wear a cute shirt, but the engagement ring fell out.
Wedding & Honeymoon :
- Dion and Evans were engaged for two years before they tied the knot in Boston. The search for her wedding gown was turned into a news story!
- Dion camped out for 12 hours to be part of Boston’s Filene’s Basement Running of the Brides, which is an annual event. Designer gowns are sold there at bargain prices, and there is usually a frenzy. She managed to bag a $9,000 Reem Acra gown for $699.
- The couple’s wedding was attended by 150 friends and family, with the ceremony and reception done at the New England Aquarium.
- They had mascots dressed in shark and turtle costumes to greet their guests, a penguin attended the reception, and the bride and groom arrived on Segways. Their wedding cake was two lobsters on a tiered cake and a separate cake made to look like a Chinese takeaway box. The couple honeymooned in Hawaii.
Personal Life & Interesting Trivia :
- Dion’s parents are great fans of Dionne Warwick.
- Dion and her hubby Evans lived with their “two babies” – a miniature dachshund named Daphne and a Yorkie named George.
- She was voted Best TV Personality in 2009 by Charlotte Magazine.
- Customers at The Cowfish restaurants in Charlotte, Atlanta, and the Universal Studios City Walk can order a Neon Dion, a sushi roll named after Dion!
- Her parents were worried about her choice of life partner in Evans. Being a professional poker player is an unconventional career choice. Evans had to show his bank balance to prove that it is a viable career!
- Dion loves to try out new cuisine, travel the world, and when not working, she volunteers and acts as an ambassador for the non-profit Best Buddies.
- Dion is open about her struggles growing up and navigating the cutthroat world of broadcast journalism as an Asian American woman. She uses her earlier experiences to empower women and the minority group through public speaking and community appearances. She also uses her platform to help women find their own voice.
Body Info / Physical Features
Dion Lim Measurements :
- Eye Color : Brown
- Haircut / Hair Color : Black
- Height : No confirmed information is available.
- Feet / Legs / Shoe Size : No confirmed information is available.
- Pregnant ? : Currently, she is not expecting a baby.
- Weight Loss : A few Google queries regarding this, but we couldn’t find anything conclusive on any of her social media.
Personal / Home Details
- Married ? : Yes
- Children / No of Kids : –
- Dion Lim Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : Asian
- Nationality : American