Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Frances Ruth Tophill is an English horticulturalist and television presenter from Kent.
- She stars in the ITV show Love your Garden alongside Alan Titchmarsh, David Domoney and Katie Rushworth.
Personal Life : Family & Education
- Frances Tophill was born in her hometown of Deal, Kent. Her family includes her sister Charlie.
- She graduated from Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC) Edinburgh in 2013 with a B.Sc. degree in Horticulture and Plantsmanship.
- After finishing up high school, Frances was working as a shop assistant at a Marks and Spencer at Deal, Kent.
Early Life & Education :
- Tophill first started gardening at age 6-7 when her mother gave her a large planter, but it was not until she was 19, that she really considered it as a career.
- Her mom suggested that Frances apply for a local gardening apprenticeship at Salutation Gardens. At first, Frances laughed at the idea, but a few days later it seemed like a less impossible idea to her as she didn’t have any prior professional experience then.
- Even after getting to know that she’s going to have to take a £2 decrease in her hourly rate, Frances was set on the idea of the apprenticeship. She turned up in person till she got the job and worked there for almost two and a half years.
- Frances chose SRUC Edinburgh to study for her Bachelors after her apprenticeship.
TV Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- While still studying for her Bachelors, an email was sent by the staff at ITV show Love your Garden to Frances’ college and her class. The class decided to go to London to check it out. All the students gave their screen tests, and Frances was offered the job.
- Frances joined the “Love your Garden” cast and started travelling the country transforming the gardens of people for its second season in 2012. She mentions that her biggest challenge was overcoming her shyness, as she is not naturally extroverted.
- Frances’s role is mostly plant-based, working in the garden throughout the whole rebuilding of the garden and working with the landscaping team when required.
- She gets along well with her co-presenter, Alan Titchmarsh even though they argue with each other for fun about their backgrounds – Frances being trained in Edinburgh and Alan trained at Kew.
- In 2016, she also started to co-present for “Gardener’s World,” a long-running BBC television program about gardening.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Frances has authored two books so far, “First Time Gardener” and “The Container Garden.” The former being a generic, practical book for people that are just getting started out and teaches about designing your garden and maintaining a backyard garden. The latter focuses on outdoor growing in containers.
- Tophill is a big fan of volunteer work, and she has mentioned in an interview before that almost all her paid work comes from volunteering at the location first.
- Her nickname is Frinky.
- She has volunteered & worked for Dawlish Gardens Trust and also at Hilcrest Branch. Hilcrest is a social enterprise doing ground maintenance work with people having difficulties with their mental health.
Body Info / Physical Features
Frances Tophill Measurements :
- Eye Color : Blue
- Hair Color : Brown
- Frances Tophill Height : 5′ 5″
- Feet / Legs / Shoe Size : No confirmed information is available.
- Pregnant ? : Currently, she is not expecting a baby.
Personal / Home Details
- Frances Tophill Married ?:No
- No. of Kids : –
- Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : White
- Nationality : British