Bio Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Jennifer Mcdermed is an American meteorologist and weather forecaster.
- The blue-eyed blonde German-Irish Midwestern Jennifer is a native of Atchisonk, Kansas.
Early Life & Family Background :
- Jennifer showed interest in weather ever she was a young kid, watching ‘The Weather Channel’ at night. She recounted during her kindergarten days that they were asked to draw what they wanted to become in the future. She ended up drawing a tornado with cows flying into it.
- Her interest in storm chasing was further ignited by her father. When he would spot a thunderstorm nearby, Jennifer’s dad would break out the lawn chairs and invite the family to watch.
- The passion continued to grow gradually until she found herself chasing storms and tornadoes in high school and even grew bigger on her college days.
- Jennifer is a middle child, & has two other siblings.
Qualifications & Education :
- As a child, she attended the Catholic boarding school Maur Hill – Mount Academy.
- In May 2013, Jennifer graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology from Saint Louis University.
- She also spent a semester to study in Madrid, Spain for five months.
Interests & Hobbies :
- Besides her passion for weather, Jennifer is also a fan of sports. She is interested in a few physically demanding sports such as volleyball, basketball games and CrossFit.
- She also loves biking, swimming, hiking, and anything that is an overall outdoor enthusiast. She is also a fan of the NCAA team Kansas State Wildcats and often cheers for them.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Shortly after she finished college, Jennifer made a short stint at KQTV in St. Joseph before moving into WHO-TV 13 in Des Moines, Iowa.
- After two years of working with WHO as a meteorologist, she headed to KMBC in Kansas City in December 2015. She bid farewell with her KMBC family after two years of being their meteorologist and even though her move was described as bittersweet, her colleagues were excited for her new adventure with her career.
- As of 2020, Mcdermed works with Fox 9 and is enjoying doing what she always loves to do – forecasting, monitoring and broadcasting weather updates.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Jennifer considered herself an aspiring beer connoisseur and loves to taste good beers or to discover new breweries.
- She revealed that she is very picky when it comes to food, but pasta with marinara sauce or grilled cheese always gets her.
- One of the biggest tornadoes she has chased in her career was an F4 in Lyons, KS.
- Mcdermed was present in Rome, Italy during the Beatification of Pope John Paul II in May of 2011. She spent more than 12 hours waiting with millions of people & made sure that she would get a good view when the Vatican gates opened.
- There were a couple of funny bloopers involving Jennifer – Once she made a cameo appearance behind the main news anchor in a morning newscast, while another time a giant bug flew into the camera, as she was presenting frightening her.