Laura Allison Jarrett is an American practicing litigation attorney and a political reporter for CNN based mostly in Washington, DC. Since January 2020, Laura is the anchor of the show “Early Start” along with co-host Christine Romans.
Laura Jarrett Parents, Family & Early Life :
- Laura Jarrett was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1983 to parents William and Valerie Jarrett (maiden name Valerie Bowman).
- Her parents were well educated and encouraged her to follow in their footsteps with powerful work, and they have since been quoted in interviews as saying they hoped they would make their daughter proud.
- Laura’s mother Valerie was born in Iran in 1956 but moved to Chicago as a child. Valerie is famous for having an impressive career in politics and for serving as a senior adviser to former U.S. President Barack Obama during both of his successful presidential terms. She was also a mentor to former First Lady, Michelle Obama.
- Laura’s dad William Jarret was the son of Chicago reporter Vernon Jarret and worked as a director of obstetrics and gynecology.
- Unfortunately, Laura was unlucky enough to lose her father (due to cardiac arrest) when she was only ten years old, in 1993. William himself was just 40.
- Now living in Washington D.C., Laura married Canadian politician Tony Balkissoon on June 17, 2012. Her father-in-law is a renowned Ontario-based politician Bas Balkissoon. Ex U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder & Ex-President Barack Obama attended the wedding celebrations.
Early Life & Education :
- Laura attended schools in Chicago and made her way through the American education system with great success, always having a knack for the more intellectual subjects.
- After completing high school, Laura attended Amherst College, where she earned her B.A. degree in 2007. Later, she attended Harvard Law School, graduating in 2010 with a law degree.
- While at law school, Laura was the new articles selection co-chair and article editor for the Harvard Journal of Law and Gender. She even wrote some original articles on the subjects of gender, violence, and the law.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Before she was admitted to both the State and Federal bar in Illinois, Laura worked as a judicial law clerk for the Hon. Rebecca Pallmeyer and later the Hon. Ann C Williams on the seventh circuit court of appeals.
- While practicing law, she mostly works on litigation cases defending companies & individuals involved in government investigations but also devotes significant time to pro-bono cases.
- One particular Laura handled was the representation of a sex-trafficking victim for whom she expunged her past convictions.
- She continues to work as an Attorney in the private sector, being more selective in the cases she now represents.
- Jarrett can also now be frequently seen on TV screens as a political reporter for CNN, based in their Washington D.C. bureau, a role she started in September 2016.
- In January 2020, Laura became the co-host of the CNN show “Early Start”, after she replaced
Life Outside Work :
- In her downtime, Laura is a keen reader, and during interviews, she has quoted her favorite books as To Kill a Mockingbird, Anna Karenina, In Cold Blood, The History of Sexuality, and Pretty One Day.
- Despite traveling worldwide and throughout America, she still describes her favorite place as her hometown, Chicago, mainly in the summertime.