Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Martel Maxwell is a Scottish television-radio presenter and journalist, who co-hosts the popular daytime programme Homes Under the Hammer.
- Besides her broadcasting work, Martel is also a blogger and author. Her debut novel ‘Scandalous’ was published by Penguin. The book was inspired by the time she spent as a reporter.
Family Background & Married Life :
- Born in London, but raised in Dundee, Scotland, Martel had a great childhood. At the age of 2, her parents separated. She has a younger sister Holly.
- Martel is a proud redhead. A fairy tale love story, she went on to marry the first boy she kissed, when he finally plucked the courage to ask her out after twenty years!
- They have three boys, Monty, Chester and Guthrie, and live in a family home an hour outside Edinburgh.
- Maxwell said her party days are behind her and she is happy as a mother and wife.
- She maintains her own website where she writes on her job, beauty and style, her family life, her experiences being a mother.
Education & Training :
- Maxwell attended The High School of Dundee before pursuing her law degree at the University of Edinburgh. She went on to do her postgraduate in law at the University of Dundee.
- After realising she was not cut up for a career in criminal law, Maxwell wrote to every national newspaper in the UK. She won a graduate internship with The Sun, who sent her to the prestigious London City University. Maxwell graduated with a postgraduate qualification in newspaper journalism.
Print Journalist Career :
- Maxwell started her career as a reporter for The Sun. Her love of partying had landed her a post at the Bizarre Showbiz column of the newspaper. During her stint there, Maxwell interviewed many celebrities.
- One of the very first interviews was with English actor Steve Coogan; however, Maxwell was too drunk having made use of the free bar. Coogan wrote notes for her, including giving her an exclusive interview and Maxwell remembered writing that article with a hangover.
- Her other notable interviews included Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and Angelina Jolie, where she asked Jolie whether she had an affair with Brad Pitt while he was still married to Jennifer Aniston.
- She also wrote for The Scottish Sun as a weekly columnist up until 2012.
Broadcasting Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- Maxwell had two talks shows on radio Talk 107 and SunTalk. She also stood in for another presenter, Fred MacAulay on BBC Radio Scotland.
- Her first work in front of the camera came on BBC1 Scotland, presenting on The One Show, Landward and BBC Inspired. As a freelance reporter, Maxwell also presented on ITV on popular shows like Lorraine and Drivetime.
Homes Under the Hammer :
- Maxwell was offered the post as co-host on Homes under the Hammer in early 2017 while she was pregnant.
- The previous co-host Lucy Alexander was leaving & the BBC staff in charge of recruiting remembered Maxwell and her husband had good experience renovating their own property.
- Maxwell felt grateful for the chance. For the first few episodes, she was filmed with a baby bump while traipsing around unrenovated, auctioned properties.
- She has mentioned that filming Homes under the Hammer is far from glamorous. Schedules are hectic, they often have to do their own wardrobe and make-up & you never know what they will get behind the door.
- Maxwell remembered when she first filmed and tried to look glamorous while pregnant with a pair of wedges. There were even fossilised rat remains on the floor and since then she had invested in a pair of sturdy boots.
Social Media :
- Maxwell maintains a fairly active verified Twitter account & has over 10,000 followers there, as of 2020.
Body Info / Physical Features
Martel Maxwell Measurements :
- Eye Color : Blue
- Hair Color : Ginger
- Martel Maxwell Height : 5′ 4″ (Source : Twitter)
- Feet / Legs / Shoe Size : 7
- Pregnant ? : Currently, she is not expecting a baby.
Personal / Home Details
- Martel Maxwell Married ? : Yes
- Children / No of Kids : 3
- Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : White
- Nationality : Scottish