Micah Materre is a well-respected American journalist and news anchor who works with Chicago’s WGN-TV. Over the course of her career, she has won several awards, including an Emmy!
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Materre was born on November 9, 1962, in Chicago.
- She is married to WGN’s videographer, Kelvin Jackson, since 1995. Together, they have two children, Louis and McKenzie.
- Micah’s parents, Louise and Jeanne, were a school administrator and an insurance broker.
Education & Early Career :
- Micah started working as an intern at Chicago’s WBEZ radio station right after she graduated from Drake University in 1983.
- After some months, she started working as a radio producer, a job that she maintained for almost six years.
- She attended Northwestern University and took a journalism grad class, which landed her an internship opportunity at WBBM Channel 2 in Chicago. This experience helped her realize that being a journalist was what she wanted for her future.
Profession, Salary & Net Worth :
- Currently, Micah is one of the main anchors of Chicago’s WGN-TV, appearing on “WGN Evening News” several times during the day. She joined the network in 1998 as a co-anchor and a medical reporter.
- She has covered some historical news moments in history, such as the inauguration of Barack Obama’s first presidency.
- Her exceptional work has earned her accolades from reputed media publications like the New York Times Magazine, Glamour and Ebony etc.
- In 2014, she won an Emmy Award from the Chicago/Midwest Chapter.
Interesting Facts & Trivia :
- The seasoned journalist is humble when describing her career path. Micah affirms that she was “good to people, and people considered her a good person.” She describes herself as a hard-working and honest woman.
- In an interview, Micah says having perseverance can take you wherever you want to go, and it is the key to succeed in a career.
- Micah was interviewed by the digital platform “Michigan Avenue” about her fashion sense & dressing style. She mentioned that her mother is her fashion guru and said she “tries to follow her steps as much as she can.”
- At the end of 2017, WGN-TV launched a cooking contest, where people had to send a special family recipe during Thanksgiving & they could win a visit from Micah. Micah would then prepare it along with the winner at their house.
- Many people she has interviewed during her career have mentioned how professional Materre is and the ease they feel while filming with her.
Micah’s Blog :
- Materre has her own website where she introduces herself in a long text and also provides some advice on parenting, life, professional career, and wellness.
- One of the sections is dedicated to interviews the journalist has conducted of regular everyday people, most of them with some social or economic problems.