Janelle Hall is a news anchor for Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 (WTAE) on weeknights at 6pm & 11pm. She is originally from Western Pennsylvania.
Personal Life : Parents, Family and Education
- Janelle has a younger sister named Brea, who runs a photography business in Cleveland.
- Hall was married to Casey Ellis. They have a son together named Austin Joseph Ellis (born in 2009). It is unclear when they separated, but Janelle has custody of Austin.
- She married her former colleague John Meyer, a sports anchor at the WTAE, sometime after 2011. With John, Janelle has two daughters. They are Addison Elyse (born in 2015) and Ashlyn Breanne (born on May 23, 2017).
- Besides her children, Janelle’s family also includes Tucker, her pet dog Weimaraner.
- Janelle attended the Oil City High School. She graduated Kent State University with a major in broadcast news and a minor in criminal justice.
- In her younger years, Janelle often goes directly to the YMCA after school to play with the boys. She set the record for three-pointers and assists, which still holds to this day. She was the shooting guard for the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Western PA Bruins, which competed in Florida.
- Janelle once ran the annual Pittsburgh Marathon but only did half of it.
- Her grandfather was a basketball coach in her hometown and influenced her father to become a referee.
- Her grandfather was also a World War II veteran. Janelle did a documentary about his Army experience for her journalism assignment at the Kent State University. He had refused to talk about it for many years until Janelle interviewed him. After watching the documentary as a family, her grandfather passed away a few months later.
Career in Journalism :
- Since high school, Janelle already had a passion for journalism. Her career began when she was 16, where her mother would drive her to the radio station where she worked. She was a DJ at WFRA-FM and WRJS-FM and reported on the local news.
- After graduation, Janelle has worked at an educational show on PBS 45/49 in Ohio and a health show on a Cleveland cable station.
- She was then employed at WJET in Erie, PA, and then as a reporter at WNDU in South Bend, Indiana.
- Hall joined the WTAE Channel 4 Action News as a General Assignment Reporter in 2004.
- In 2006, she was promoted to weekend morning anchor and by 2012 joined the weekday morning news team as a traffic reporter.
- She now anchors the evening news edition for WTAE.
Income, Salary and Net Worth :
- As per Salary(dot)com, the average median salary of a TV News Anchor from Pittsburgh is $61,345 per year. The salary range is $49,467 to $81,337 annually. ZipRecruiter gives the average salary for this profile as $65,412/year, while the PayScale website mentions $75,000 annually for the same position.
- Drawing from this data, we get a rough estimate of Janelle Hall’s salary. Considering her work experience, we can estimate her annual income to be higher than the average figures mentioned above.
Awards and Achievements :
- Janelle was received an award for “Best Investigative Reporting” by the Indiana Society of Professional Journalists for her undercover look into pirated DVDs.
- She has also won SPJ awards for her spot news and feature reports on minority issues.
- Another award under her belt is the “William Randolph Hearst” journalism award for her feature writing.
- Janelle volunteers as a mentor for a local teenager in the Big Brothers and Big Sisters program, as her father did before her.
Interesting Facts and Trivia :
- An advocate for Pure Barre fitness studio gym equipment.
- A big fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers football team.
- Enjoys music and loves spinning in her spare time.
More Details :
- Marital Status / Married? : Yes
- Children / No of Kids : 3
- Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : White
- Nationality : American