Kelly Frey Luhn was the anchor of WTAE-TV’s Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 This Morning. She was usually on-air weekday mornings from 4:30 AM to 7 AM. A morning anchor at Channel 4 since 2000, Kelly left WTAE-TV in November 2021, as she and the station could not agree to contract terms.
Personal Life : Parents, Marriage and Education
- Kelly is originally from West Chester, Pennsylvania.
- She is married to Jason Luhn, who is the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the National Air Guard. He served as a tanker pilot with the 171st Air Refueling Wing, stationed at the Pittsburgh National Airport.
- Kelly attended the Downingtown High School and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh.
Kelly Frey Son & Daughter :
- Kelly and Jason have two children together. Her firstborn son, Bennett Ryan, was born in September 2009.
- Bennett was born with Dandy-Walker Syndrome. The effects of the disease are unique to newborns diagnosed with it, and in Bennett’s case, he was born with virtually no cerebellum, greatly impacting his fine motor skills. Even before birth, doctors expected a low chance of survival.
- Immediately after birth, Bennett underwent brain surgery to correct his disease. The Luhns prepared for the worse & hired a photographer from a non-profit organization Now I Lay Me Down to capture their last moments together as a family.
- Fortunately, the opposite happened. Bennett became stronger each passing day.
- She launched a Facebook page called Building for Bennett to share her joys and struggles in expanding her house to be more convenient for Bennett as he grows older.
- Kelly’s second child was a girl. Her daughter was named Marena Aubrey & she was born on April 11, 2011.
- The family currently resides in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with their two cats and a dog.
Professional Life : Career, Salary and Net Worth
- Kelly began her broadcasting career in Monroe, Los Angeles, with a local cable television program called Hometown News.
- She then anchored for KTBS in Shreveport, Los Angeles, and KTVE in El Dorado, Arkansas.
- Most of Kelly’s broadcasting career was with the WTAE network, as she had been with them since the year 2000. It was announced in Nov 2021 that Kelly was leaving the station after the negotiation over her next contract failed.
- One of her most fun yet embarrassing moments on TV was when she brought her dogs to the studio on Bring-Your-Animal Night at a Shreveport Captains game. Her dogs were fine for about 10 minutes and then began fighting each other on air.
Kelly Frey Cancer Battle :
- In March 2017, Kelly was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. Although it was in its early stages, her breast cancer condition is considered very aggressive.
- Frey shared this news on-air & later also did a Facebook Live video of her shaving her head 2 weeks after the announcement.
- In December 2017, she was named Pittsburgher of the Year Award & she also featured on Pittsburgh Magazine’s cover for the January 2018 issue.
- Kelly’s brave public fight & engaging the community without fear was cited as one of the reason for choosing her.
Interesting Facts and Trivia :
- Kelly’s favorite places to have a bite are Mad Mex, Gullifty’s and Monterey Bay Fish Grotto.
- Some of her hobbies are hitting the gym, skiing, playing pool and walking her dogs.
- A Sunday school teacher, Kelly also identifies herself as a devout Catholic.
- She particularly enjoys the movies Snatch and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.