|Personal Details Summary|
|Birthday / Date of Birth / How old is Karen Borta Age / Edad||March 17, 1965. As of 2021, she is around 56 years old.|
|Parents||Imelda King (mother) and Frank King (father)|
|Wedding & Marriage / Husband / Spouse / Boyfriend||Married. See below for more details.|
|What channel is Karen Borta on?||Karen has been working with CBS 11 for 25+ years.|
|Children / No. of Kids||3|
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race||Mixed|
Karen Borta (maiden name Karen King) is a reporter from the Texas area who has famously been with the CBS Network for over 25 years. In 2008, Karen made it to the Top 3 of The Top 10 Hottest TV Women in Dallas list, published by Dallas Observer.
Early Life, Education, & Family :
- Karen was born and raised in Laredo, Texas, and had a typical middle-class upbringing. She has 3 siblings - Sister Kathy Robinson and brothers Mike and John King. Karen is the eldest child in her family.
- Karen has English heritage from her mother’s side and Latino heritage from her father’s side. Her dad was a pilot for American Airlines, while her mom worked with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
- Aside from working on her school newspaper, Karen was also a cheerleader during her high school years.
- Borta grew up close to her parents, and they encouraged her to stay close to home for university. As such, she attended The University of Texas at Arlington: UT Arlington so that she could return home on the weekends. She eventually graduated from there in 1987 with a Bachelor’s degree, majoring in radio and television communications.
- While Karen was at university, she lost her grandmother to breast cancer. Not long after, her mother was also diagnosed with the disease, but she went on to beat it.
Career Path : Karen Borta Net Worth & Salary
- After graduating from high school, Karen interned with local news outlets for two years before receiving her first real job with KCEN-TV in Waco.
- She spent a couple of years there before she moved to Sacramento in California and began reporting for KRBK-TV.
- That role lasted 2 years, after which she was offered an anchoring job with WTVT-TV in Tampa, Florida.
- Using her anchor skills from that role, she then applied for CBS11 back in Texas and was grateful to receive it as it meant she could move back to her homeland.
- For 20 years, she co-anchored the CBS11 nightly news programs. However, in 2014, she requested to be moved to their morning segments.
- Although she was wildly popular with the night circuit, the network eventually allowed it.
- Many accused her of damaging her own career with that move, but she has explained that she doesn’t care as it allows her to be home with her children every night. She has said that 20 years of working nights & afternoons meant she missed most of their extracurricular activities, something she is glad to be a part of now.
Karen Borta Married Life :
- Karen met her husband, James aka Jim Borta, while she was in university. Jim has a Bachelor’s degree from San Diego State University and a Master’s degree from the University of Melbourne in Australia.
- The two married in 1994, and Jim’s work in sales allowed him to move around with her while she followed her reporting jobs.
- The couple has three children together. Their son Jake was born in 1997, and he was followed by their daughter Katie in 2000. They then had Kylie in 2002.
- Borta has said that being able to settle back into Texas after moving so much at the beginning of her career was the best thing for her family.
- In 2004, Karen’s husband planned a surprise vow renewal for her with her children’s help to celebrate their 10th anniversary. She has said they were too busy to do it again on their 20th anniversary, but they do plan to do it for their 30th wedding anniversary.