Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Melissa Reddy is a South African journalist who predominantly writes about football.
- She is a pioneer as a woman sports journalist & has become a well-respected writer, podcaster and TV analyst over the span of her career.
- Currently, Reddy contributes to The Athletic Soccer and also writes for JOE, where she is the Senior Football Correspondent. She also contributes regularly to multiple other media platforms as a topic expert.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Reddy was born in August 1986, in South Africa.
- She grew up in a sports-mad family, spending her childhood playing football and cricket and watching rugby.
- Despite growing up in South Africa & her family being divided between Manchester United and Tottenham, Reddy has always been a Liverpool FC fan, with her love for football finally leading her to move to the United Kingdom in 2014.
- Her most memorable moment as a Liverpool FC fan was a few days after her 8th birthday, when Robbie Fowler scored against Arsenal in August 1994.
- To Reddy, being a Liverpool FC fan is not just about football; it’s about joining a family. She feels that the fan community around the club is incredibly strong.
Early Life & Education :
- Reddy studied Media and Communications at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, during which she did an internship at Summit TV.
- While she was completing her internship, she was encouraged to write about sports by some professional journalists. This led her to apply for a job at TEAMtalk Media, after which she finished her studies & kickstarted her career as a sports journalist.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Reddy first began writing as a sports journalist professionally in 2007.
- She worked for TEAMtalk Media in South Africa, where she was Head of the football department.
- Later, she became the deputy editor of KICK OFF magazine, which is Africa’s largest sports publication.
- In 2014, Reddy moved to the UK, where she became the chief correspondent for Monday Night Football.
- Reddy currently works for the UK based web publishing platform JOE, where she is the Senior Football Correspondent.
- She also continues to contribute to other media platforms such as Premier League Productions, BBC 5 Live, The Athletic, Fox Singapore, Sky News, and The Anfield Wrap.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Reddy describes her love for Liverpool FC as being the longest relationship she’s ever had.
- One of Reddy’s favourite drinks is gin, and is known for her perfect strategy for making Gin and Tonics.
- As a woman, and as a person of colour, reporting on football has not always been easy. She has received a fair share of maltreatment, both online and in person. However, she does not take this personally, feeling this is a reflection of her abusers, not her.
- South Africa has an army of fierce Liverpool FC fans, who celebrate being part of the Liverpool family through avid game watching, tattoos, and making trips to Anfield, Liverpool.
- Melissa has built a strong following on Twitter – over 275,000 followers follow her there for her analysis & quick reports.
- Kenny Dalglish is her favourite Liverpool manager, mainly for his sharp wit, attitude and humility.