Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Oli Bell is a British TV presenter. Currently, he presents The Opening Show on ITV Racing.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Oli Bell was born on April 28, 1987, and grew up around Glastonbury, England with his sister.
- His father, Rupert Bell, is a fellow sports broadcaster specialising in equestrian racing.
- His uncle, Michael Bell is a famous successful trainer of racehorses.
- In high school, Oli received a scholarship to study drama outside Peterborough. But he quickly discovered his innate passion for broadcasting, which became his priority.
- Oli felt he did not have the aptitude or the inclination to attend university, so he started working right after leaving school at the age of 18.
- Currently, he resides in London, England. Year 2018 onwards, Oli had dated fellow ITV racing commentator Francesca Cumani, after her divorce. The two split up in Jan 2020.
- As per some reports, he is now dating Hayley Turner, UK’s most successful jockey.
Early Career Days :
- At the age of fifteen, Oli became a DJ at his school’s radio station, earning the breakfast show slot. This initial foray in the world of broadcasting started showing him the ropes of the profession.
- A year later, at the age of sixteen, he became a live radio reporter at the Burghley Horse Trials, and then proceeded to report from the ‘British Touring Car Championships’ and the ‘Land Rover G4 Challenge’.
Professional Growth, Salary & Net Worth :
- Following his departure from school, Oli initially moved into the role of editorial assistant at Racing UK, but swiftly moved into a presenting role.
- Oli covered prestigious international events such as the ‘Grand National,’ ‘The Cheltenham Festival,’ and ‘The Royal Ascot’.
- He was then offered a position by Sky Australia, where he covered international sports.
- Upon returning to the UK, Oli went back to work for Racing UK.
- As of 2019, Oli is working as a TV presenter for ITV. He returned to the network after the channel had acquired the rights for horse racing coverage in the UK. He presents The Opening Show, which features substantial coverage of the most fundamental horse racing events.
Interesting Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Oli spent a year as a player on the professional poker circuit. He is also well-versed in playing other sports such as football and cricket, having played both in South Africa and Australia.
- He still plays cricket on occasion, particularly for the Newmarket Racing XI team.
- Oli credits his paternal grandfather with instilling a love for horse racing in him. His grandfather used to own race horses, and the two used to watch horse racing together.
- At the Royal Ascot event in 2017, one of Oli’s Uncle’s racehorses Big Orange, won the day. Oli was overwhelmed by emotion and burst from the commenting box onto the track, momentarily forgetting that he was meant to interview the winning jockey of the race!
- The show of emotion was made even more infamous by the fact that it caught Queen Elizabeth II’s notice, as she was attending the event that day. Oli and his father got to meet the monarch the day after the event.