Wiki Bio / Profile Background
- Erika van Thiel is most well-known wife of the Dutch Grammy-nominated DJ and producer, Armin van Buuren.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- Armin & Erika got married on September 18, 2009. The couple lives in Leiderdorp, which is a town in western Netherlands.
- They have two children, son Remy van Buuren (born in 2013) and daughter Fenna van Buuren (born in 2011).
The Proposal :
- Erika received the surprise of her lifetime in Sydney, Australia; Armin was performing at the Royal Opera House, and one night Erika came to meet him there. Outside was a boat and on the boat hung a huge banner with ‘Erika Will You Marry Me’ written on it.
- “It just seemed like the right thing to do,” stated Armin. ‘We have been together for ten years and it would be nice to take this relationship to the next step. Also, Erika’s dad is seventy now & has not been well recently. I am not very traditional but for Erika and her family, it is important.’
- Erika was in tears before she said ‘YES,’ saying that Armin ‘got her good’ in a later interview.
- Prior to the engagement, Erika and Armin were dating for eight years.
A Successful Marriage :
- When one of Armin’s EDM concerts sold out astonishingly quickly, Erika was the first person to receive the news. She surprised her husband with the amazing news by showing up to his studio with a congratulatory cake with “SOLD OUT” written on it in red icing. Armin mused to the camera “This is the biggest moment of my career then!”.
- Erika believes that Armin is a lot more productive now in terms of his music after having two children. “He’s producing for tracks and using his time more wisely, and it is nice to see that when he comes back home he is just another member of the family, spending time with the kids, taking out the trash, and going to the shops to buy groceries”, she mentions.
- Just hours before he was about to headline the main stage at the world-famous music festival “Tomorrowland,” Armin announced that his wife had just given birth to his 2nd child – son Remy, in 2013.
- In one interview Armin said “the key to any successful relationship is communication, especially if you are living together”. He and his wife Erika, even more than a decade of being with one another still have ‘date nights’ twice or at least once a week. This is where they often go to their favourite restaurant (no phones!) Sit on a table together and just talk for hours. Sometimes they would talk about big & small things, where they would like to go on holiday next or even have small arguments, but they are happy that after all this time they can still spend time with one another, just like when they first started dating.
- Armin has been ranked the ‘World No.1 DJ’ by DJ Magazine in their annual 100 DJs fan poll for a record-breaking five times.