Parris McBride is the wife and long-time partner of famed author George R. R. Martin, however, she is also known for her humanitarian work.
Young Life & Family Details :
- While she tries to keep her life as quiet as possible, McBride has confirmed that she considered herself a hippy from a young age. So much so that the invitations to her 25th birthday read ‘crazed hippie reaches quarter century.’
- In her teenage years, she lived in Portland, Oregon, although she moved around quite a bit in her early 20’s to find her own place.
- She has stated that she always returned to Portland, and in the early 80’s she set up what she thought would be a permanent home there amongst friends, and began working as a waitress at a restaurant that was owned by crucial members of the Oregon feminism scene.
- She has been a big fan of The Lord of the Rings for most of her life, and has been collecting memorabilia from the books and movies for the past 40 years.
Dating Story : Relationship & Marriage :
- Parris met her future husband George in the mid 1970’s, however, at the time he was set to marry someone else.
- At the time, however, she was interested in his friend, Joe Haldeman.
- McBride reconnected with Martin in 1981, after he divorced his first wife Gale Burnick.
- The two started a long distance relationship, with her living in Portland while he lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- The two endlessly tried to convince the other to move, but it was eventually McBride that moved. This happened after she visited Martin in New Mexico & fell in love with the place.
- They eventually married in 2011, in a small ceremony in their Santa Fe home on February 15. McBride has joked that they finally married after 40 years of dating because they finally figured out the relationship was a good fit.
- On August 19, 2011, a larger ceremony was held for the two at the 69th World Science Fiction Convention in Nevada.
Parris Mcbride Net Worth & Contributions :
- While Parris tends to keep a low profile, she runs her own live journal which she uses to give fans an insight to her life but also to bring awareness to her favourite causes.
- She is an avid supporter of the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary in New Mexico, who’s aim is to rehabilitate wild and domestic-wolf dogs & has been involved with them since the mid 90’s.
- In 2013, she became involved with the Pearl Foundation and particularly their Prose for Pearl auction, which aims to raise funds for scholarships to be given to writing students. She also donated a signed copy of a Game of Thrones script, from the show based on her husband’s successful books.
- In 2015, with her husband’s support, she pledged $2.7 million towards a new art space for the group Meow Wolf, who are an art collective working throughout Santa Fe.
Interesting Facts : Parris McBride Arya Stark
- Allegedly, her favourite character from Game of Thrones is Arya, the youngest daughter of Ned Stark.