In the summer of 2008, Jodi Arias made national headlines after she was charged with murdering her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, a 30-year-old man, who was working as a motivational speaker and insurance salesman.
Personal Life : Family Background & Education
- Jodi Ann Arias was born on July 9, 1980, in Salinas, California, to parents Sandra Dee Allen (mother) and William Arias (father).
- First of four children, Jodi moved out at 17, initially living with her boyfriend before she relocated to Southern California and then Arizona.
- Although Jodi has given several mismatching accounts of her trials while growing up, her mother describes her childhood as “normal” and “happy”.
- She attended the Yreka Union High School, although she dropped out in 11th Grade.
- Jodi initially worked series of dead-end jobs before she eventually got a standard job with a company now known as ‘LegalShield’ which paid its “work-from-home” sales force on commission.
Relationship with Alexander :
- Jodi met her ex and now-dead boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in September 2006 at a PPL conference in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- In fact, they became so close that Jodi influenced Alexander to change his Mormon beliefs and on November 26, 2006, he was baptized into the LDS Church in a ceremony.
- After they began dating in February 2007, she moved to Mesa in order to be closer to him. However, she again moved to her grandparents‘ house in Yreka, California, in March of the same year.
The Murder & Evidence :
- Alexander died brutally on June 4, 2008, from almost 30 stab wounds, a slit throat & a fatal gunshot to the head.
- His body was discovered in his shower on June 10. During Medical Examiner Kevin Horn’s court testimony, he said that the victim’s jugular vein, carotid artery, and trachea had been gashed and that Alexander also had defensive wounds on his hands. His death was declared a homicide.
- Although initially denying that she had anything to do with Alexander’s murder, incriminating evidence such as a bloody handprint containing both Jodi & Alexander’s DNA was found on the scene.
- A camera was also with photos of both of them together on that day, Alexander standing in the shower, and even Alexander’s bloody body all contradicted her story.
- After giving unusual and contradicting accounts of what actually transpired, Jodi eventually confessed to killing him, although in self-defense. She also claimed that he was pedophilic and abusive.
Jodi Arias Sentence :
- After almost six years of trial, Jodi was convicted of first-degree murder in 2013 after two juries had initially failed to reach a unanimous decision on whether death penalty should be given.
- Currently, she is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.
Facts & Trivia :
- Prior to his death, Alexander’s friends who knew Arias claimed they had a negative opinion of her (she had a disturbing behavior) & stated that the relationship was unusually tumultuous.
- They also named Arias as a possible suspect when the 911 dispatcher, after they found Alexander’s body, asked them if they knew anyone with intent to hurt him, stating that Alexander had said Jodi was stalking him, accessing his Facebook account, and slashing his car’s tires after their breakup.
- Jodi’s case was featured on an episode of 48 Hours Mystery: Picture Perfect in 2008, an interview which, for the first time in the show’s history, was used as evidence in a death penalty trial.
- On September 24, 2008, Inside Edition interviewed Arias at the Maricopa County Jail where she stated, “No jury is going to convict me…because I am innocent and you can mark my words on that. No jury is going to convict me.”
- How tall is Jodi Arias Height : 5′ 5″