Biography Profile / Information
- Anushay Hossain is a political commentator, opinion columnist and writer who is originally from Bangladesh.
- Confident and smart, Anushay is a dedicated woman who has build a strong professional reputation as a hard-worker and unbiased writer.
Personal Life, Parents & Family Background :
- Anushay was born in Bangladesh. In the mid-1990s, she landed in Charlottesville, Virginia, to pursue higher education.
- She has three sisters, including an older one who graduated from the University of Virginia.
- Despite coming from a conservative culture in Bangladesh, Anushay’s father was adamant on sending all his daughters to good schools and preferred education and careers over early marriage and motherhood.
- She is the granddaughter of Tofazzal Hossain Manik Miah, a renowned journalist from Bangladesh.
- Hossain is married to a Persian American man Shayan Pahlevani. Shayan is one of the developers of CrimePush Inc., a smartphone-based crime reporting & security company.
- The couple lives in Washington, D.C. with their daughters, Layla Via and Ava Aisha, and a few pet Persian cats.
Early Life & Education :
- Anushay came from Bangladesh & attended the University of Virginia and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. She truly cherishes her time over there, as she was aware of how narrowly she escaped the fate of being married off at a younger age, like many girls back in her home country.
- She became a member of the Campaign for Afghan Women, which was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize foundation.
- Later, she even headed to the UK where she graduated from the University of Sussex with a Master of Arts Degree in Gender and Development.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- After getting her Masters Degree, Anushay began by spending 1 year in London, UK, working at the United Nations Development Fund for Women also known as UNIFEM.
- Hossain then returned to the States in Washington, D.C. and spent nearly 10 years working as a social and political analyst. She covered US foreign policy in detail and how it affected global women, girls and health rights.
- Anushay also spent some time in Bangladesh working on primary education and micro-finance programs for young girls and women as part of the Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee.
- In 2013, she became a full-time writer and spent years traveling to various leading tertiary education institutions also over the world.
- Over the span of her career, Hossain has given talks on various issues such at various schools such as at schools such as Yale Law School, Duke University, University of Michigan, Georgetown University, University of Chicago, American University, New York University, George Washington University etc. on topics such as Islam in the USA, gender and politics.
- The year 2014 saw Hossain become a world-famous and prestigious member, Washington D.C. National Press Club.
- She also became the online Managing Director for her grandfather’s publication, the Daily Ittefaq in Bangladesh.
- As a writer, Anushay focuses on various social and political issues such as feminism, Islamophobia and the impact of U.S. policy on the world’s economies.
- Her written work has been featured in various high-profile publications such as the Huffington Post, The Daily Beast, CNN, New York Times, MSNBC, PBS, Women in the World and Forbes.
- She also operates her own website where she posts commentary & offers her personal viewpoint on current issues.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- She speaks 6 different languages fluently including Italian, for which she traveled to Italy for a year to learn.
- Post the burning & riots in Charlottesville by alt right groups, Hossain was deeply hurt & posted a personal essay reacting to it on CNN’s website.
- She has served as the Global Programs Director of the Feminist Majority Foundation for close to 6 years.