Liz Kotalik is an American broadcast journalist, anchor & reporter working for 9News in Denver, Colorado.
Personal Life : Family & Education
- Born in December 1989, Liz is originally from Arizona. She attended the All Saints’ Episcopal Day School before going to Santa Monica College.
- She graduated from Arizona State University in 2012, with a degree in Broadcast Journalism from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, with a minor in Political Science.
- Liz is in a relationship with journalist Ryan Haarer, who also works for the same station as her. In August 2018, the two got engaged.
Job, Profession, Salary & Net Worth :
Early Career :
- Liz’s initial forays into broadcast journalism started with short stints, where she built her experience and resume. She was a production assistant on CBS’ 48 hours mystery in Phoenix, AZ.
- She then worked for five months as a breaking news reporter for the Arizona Republic Newspaper and KPNX TV.
- Liz then spread her wings, working as an intern with John King, the USA Special Projects for CNN in Washington D.C.
- In 2012, Liz worked for a year as an anchor and reporter for Cronkite Newswatch, Phoenix AZ.
KGUN TV :
- In January 2013, after graduating from ASU, she was offered a role with KWBA/KGUN9-TV, an ABC affiliate in Tucson, AZ. She started from being a multi-media reporter post to finally being the morning news anchor.
- Liz was grateful for the opportunities given by KGUN for close to 3 years. On moving to a new role outside of KGUN, Liz professed how much she would miss the station and Tucson. She said she had made many friends there & will miss them all as well as the margaritas at Mi Nidito.
Stint at Fox 10 & 9News :
- In January 2016, she joined Fox10 News in her home-state of Arizona. She handled the morning reporting duties and if needed, substituted as an anchor.
- This move helped her come back to her hometown of Phoenix, close to where her family is. Her grandfather had just moved to Phoenix from Connecticut and some of her siblings were also in Phoenix.
- She was particularly excited for this role since she had been watching Fox News, ever since she was a little girl. It felt surreal for her to be working with the anchors she had seen everyday. From Jan 2016 to Jan 2018, Liz was part of this team.
- In Jan 2018, Liz joined 9News KUSA-TV in Denver, Colorado.
Trivia, Height & Fun Facts :
- Liz had won an APTRA award for her work on an internet hoax in Mammoth, Arizona. She won “Best News Writing” for the piece.
- She had also surprised her sister on camera. Her sister, Olivia, was a freshman at ASU, Liz’s alma mater and she surprised Olivia on her first day on campus.
- In turn, Liz was ambushed by Denver singing cupid, George Peele. She was doing a live shot on Valentine’s Day at King Soopers in Glendale when the singing cupid surprised her.
- A big fan of the 90s band Backstreet Boys, her first email ID was BSBLIZZY@AOL.COM!
- She mentioned that she planned to run the NYC Marathon one day.