Wiki Biography / Profile Information
- Quentin Sommerville is a correspondent for BBC Middle East, who has worked for a variety of other institutions previously.
- Known and respected for his work on BBC World News America (2007), Screen Two (1985) and Newsnight (1980), Sommerville stumbled into internet fame when he was on the scene of the burning of a large amount of drugs and allegedly became intoxicated as a result.
- As of late 2019, he is currently stationed in Beirut and runs a very popular Twitter account, which has over 80,000 followers.
Personal Life and Family Background :
- Little is known in the public eye about Quentin Sommerville’s personal life or family background. What is known is that at some point in his youth he became enraptured with the general idea of adventure and the Middle East and has been pursuing this passion ever since.
Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- Quentin began his career with the TV Series Screen Two, in which he portrayed Paton. Screen Two was the sequel to Screen One, which was created in response to Channel Four’s pioneering efforts in making movies for theatrical and television release. The show ran for 15 seasons on BBC and won multiple awards.
- He then moved on to work on Newsnight for a single year in 2008. Newsnight was a short running series, which took a no-holds-barred approach to investigation.
- At the end of 2008, Quentin got a job on BBC Breakfast. BBC Breakfast, which has run since 2000 is BBC One’s Flagship news program and this was a prestigious role for Sommerville. He has served as a variety of roles on this program, most notably as Beijing Correspondent.
- In 2008, he also started appearing as the China correspondent on The Andrew Marr Show. On this show, presenter Andrew Marr would invite local guests to talk about issues ranging from politics to social situations and issues.
- In 2017, Quentin started work on BBC One’s News America. Many Americans enjoy this show as they feel it presents a fair outside perspective on what is going on in American politics.
Trivia & Interesting Facts :
- Quentin is most well-known on the Internet for a minor scandal/blooper which occurred in which he was at the site of a large number of burning narcotics for a new story.
- He was not equipped with the proper respirators and as such became inebriated from the smoke and was visibly disoriented and high on camera.
- This comedic footage was widely shared by a variety of people and lead to Quentin being known for a while as the “BBC Reporter Who Got High as a Kite on National TV”.
- Generally speaking though, this has not reduced his credibility as a reporter and he is still widely followed and respected.