Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Janet Roach is an Australian property developer, entrepreneur, philanthropist and reality television star.
- She is most commonly known for her role as one of the first cast members of the Real Housewives of Melbourne (RHOM), but was a self-made millionaire long before the show aired.
Family Background & Personal Life :
- Janet was born in the town of Gympie, Queensland on August 16, 1958. Shortly after, she moved to Brisbane with her family – the first time her parents had ever been to “the city.” The move came after her dad broke his arm while competing in a rodeo and could no longer work at a cattle station in Gymbie.
- Staying true to her city/country roots, Roach now splits her time between a luxurious apartment in South Yarra and an organic farm property in Red Hill – the latter with a population of only 731, according to the 2011 census.
- Twice divorced, Janet has two kids with her first husband: Paul, 33; and Jake; 29. She also remains very close with her three stepchildren from her second marriage.
- In April 2011, her son Jake nearly died when 70% of his body was burned in an accident at a friend’s birthday party. He had to be airlifted and was placed into an induced coma for two and a half weeks.
Early Life & Education :
- Born to parents Bevan (deceased) and Audrey, Janet has a younger sister named Robyn -whom she calls Bobby- and a brother named David.
- As a teenager, she attended Donvale High School in Donvale, Victoria. She later attended the Methodist Ladies’ College.
Job, Philanthropy & Net Worth :
- Janet made her first property investment as a single, divorced mother with two kids and only a $20,000 credit card. Her projects are now worth millions, including a popular lifestyle village for people aged 55+ in Mildura, Victoria.
- After seeing the positive effects her homemade teas were having on Jake following his accident, she created Raw Essentials Tea – an all-natural tea company. In 2017, three of her teas won awards at the International Tea Championships: Gold for the Slim Tea; Silver for the Aphrodisiac Tea; and bronze for the Immune Tea.
- Jake’s numerous surgeries and treatments have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Realizing how lucky they were to be able to afford the best treatment, they founded the Roach Foundation, which pays for treatment (physical, emotional, and mental) for burn victims who are not as fortunate. Proceeds from Raw Essentials Tea go toward funding the treatments.
Personal Life, Height & Fun Facts :
- Now that she can be picky, Janet develops properties that support sustainable, eco-friendly development.
- She has two dogs named Boychik and Bella.
- Audrey (Janet’s mom) also owned her own property business and only recently retired at 76 years old.
- Now acting as a judge for the Miss Australia pageant, Janet was once herself a finalist in the metropolitan Miss Victoria pageant.
- In her spare time, she enjoys golfing and tending to her organic vegetable, fruit and herb gardens.
- In 2016, Janet and the other RHOM won $30,000 on Family Feud that they donated to The Roach Foundation.