Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Erica Schmidt is an award-winning American theater director and actress. She has directed several off-Broadway plays. She also had a starring role in the 2002 film Miles from Nowhere.
- She is more well-known as the wife of Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage.
Early Life, Family Background & Education :
- Born on June 7, 1975, Erica attended Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY.
- While in college, she was a member of a comedy group called “Laughing Stock.’ The group competed with rival groups on weekends. Schmidt graduated in 1997.
- After college, Schmidt lived in Williamsburg, Brooklyn working as a costume designer in Julliard.
- After much struggle to find good acting work in New York, Schmidt turned to directing.
- This proved to be an astute move. She tasted success early, receiving the Princess Grace Award in Theater Direction in 2001.
Personal Life : Marriage & Children
- Schmidt is married to Peter Dinklage since 2005. Peter is known for various roles including the one in Elf and X-men : Days of Future Past; but the role of Tyrion Lannister in Games of Thrones really propelled Peter into the big league.
- The couple has two children and they started living in New Paltz, New York since 2012. Schmidt worked in NYC frequently but the move to New Paltz was primarily because Dinklage loved living in an area where he was wasn’t constantly recognized. Also after their first baby was born in 2011, she could have her own room.
- Erica subsequently welcomed their second child in 2017, hence the extra space in the new home was definitely useful.
Peter’s Views on Erica :
- Peter has always mentioned how proud he is of his wife. In an interview with The Guardian, he said his wife was brilliant and inspiring. “She loves theatre,” he said. “Unlike a lot of other people in our profession where the film is the ultimate goal, theatre is sacred to her!”
- Dinklage also went on to self deprecatingly say that he is just a TV actor who pays the bills. His wife is the real artist of the family.
- In 2011, while receiving his Emmy award for “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series” for the role of Tyrion in Game of Thrones, Dinklage professed his love for his wife, saying she is amazing. Schmidt was at the time pregnant with their first daughter Zelig Dinklage and about to give birth.
Theatre Work, Salary & Net Worth :
- Schmidt has directed several off-Broadway plays including William Shakespeare’s As You Like It in 2003 and Debbie Does Dallas in 2006.
- Her other directing credits include a Tokyo production of Rent, Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Sorcerer for the Bard SummerScape.
- In 2009, she directed Lorenzo Pisoni in a one-man show ‘Humor Abuse.’ They had first met in Vassar and have been working together for more than 20 years.
- Erica is quite particular about the projects she chooses. She mainly prefer projects with a good story, heart or humor.