Rebecca Minkoff is a fashion designer and businesswoman. She is also the co-founder and owner of her self-titled fashion brand, Rebecca Minkoff.
Personal Life : Family and Education
- Rebecca Minkoff was born Rebecca Aliza Minkoff on December 11, 1980, in San Diego, California.
- She has a brother, Uri Minkoff.
- Rebecca started falling in love for design while working for the costume department for her high school theatre productions.
- She moved to New York City at the age of 18 to become a fashion designer.
- From 1999 to 2001, Rebecca attended the Fashion Institute of Technology in the Manhattan borough of New York City.
- Rebecca married actor and producer Gavin Bellour on June 5, 2009. The couple went on to have three children – One daughter: Bowie Lou Bellour (born on August 14, 2014) and two sons: Luca Shai Bellour (born on September 25, 2011) and Nico Valentine Bellour (born on February 10, 2018).
- The family continues to reside in New York City.
Business Career, Store & Net Worth :
- From October 1999 to September 2001, Rebecca worked an assistant designer for Craig Taylor. Her work had her involved in the entire design process from the initial sketch to the final product.
- She established her brand, Rebecca Minkoff, in October 2001.
- The same year, Rebecca created a five-capsule collection that also contained a redesigned “I Love New York” t-shirt. The t-shirt was a bestseller and was featured on the Tonight Show.
- Rebecca started on her handbags designer path in 2005, when she created the iconic Morning After Bag, also known as the M. A. B.
- Having spent four years exclusively on designing handbags, she returned to apparel design in 2009, with a ready to wear collection.
- The Rebecca Minkoff brand is now global, and offers everything from apparel, handbags, shoes to jewellery to accessories, for both women and men (under the Uri Minkoff collection).
- The year 2017 saw the launch of the Rebecca Minkoff Watches.
- Rebecca founded the Female Founder Collective in September 2018, which connects businesses led by women and that empowers businesses led by women.
Trivia, Height & Interesting Facts :
- Rebecca’s brother, Uri Minkoff, is the co-founder and CEO of the Rebecca Minkoff brand.
- She was awarded the “Breakthrough Designer Award” by the Accessories Council in 2011.
- Rebecca supports the Baby Buggy nonprofit created by Jessica Seinfeld, which supplies strollers, buggies, and other childcare accessories to families in need. The nonprofit has been renamed to the Good+ Foundation to reflect how it has expanded to helping families with schooling and support in post-baby years as well.
- The talented businesswoman is very passionate about women supporting women, and about the mutual empowerment of women, particularly the ones in business.
- In August of 2017, she became part of the first New York State Council on Women and Girls, established by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo.
- Rebecca is very active on social media, particularly on Instagram, which makes her very accessible in a world where connecting is critical. She has over 1 million followers on the platform.
- She is also a member of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.