Geetanjali Nagpal was one of the popular Indian models in the early 1990s but later had a difficult life. Her story is quite interesting.
Early & Personal Life : Family & Education
- Education : Nagpal completed her studies from some of India’s most reputed schools and colleges. First, she headed to Mount Carmel, Bangalore and later to Lady Shri Ram College of Delhi.
- Being good looking & having a great sense of fashion, she also completed a course in Fashion Design from South Delhi Polytechnic located in New Delhi.
- Family : Her parents are based in Hisar, Haryana. Her father was an Indian Navy Officer & her mother’s name is Santosh Nagpal.
Relationships, Dating & Marriage :
- She married a German guy named Robert against her parents’ will. They had a son named Arthur. Soon after, she walked out of the marriage. Her husband and son both are based in Germany.
- a Few years later, she dated a British boyfriend whom she met in Goa. They both moved to Delhi and lived in an area, which was famous for cheap guesthouses.
Professional Career & Riches to Rags Story :
- Gitanjali’s photographer, Amir Rajpal, was mesmerized with her beauty. He compared her looks with Actress Madhuri Dixit & was one of the important people behind the success of her career.
- Geetanjali was doing very well with her modeling profession. She even walked the ramp along with popular Bollywood actresses of her time such as Sushmita Sen etc.
- Nagpal’s fame and hard work became futile when she started falling in the trap of alcohol and drugs. The situation became so bad that she was often seen roaming in the streets of Delhi.
- She begged people for money, asked street food vendors or dabbawalas for the food. This became a gossip for many in the fashion industry.
Controversy Surrounding Movie Fashion :
- A Bollywood movie named Fashion, highlighting the dark side of the fashion industry had a character played by actress, Kangana Ranaut that was inspired by Geetanjali’s real-life tragedy.
- The character depicted the rise & success of the model and then her drastic fall.
- In an interview, Kangana confirmed that her character was based on Nagpal’s experiences & a controversy broke out after this.
- The Delhi Government Body & Delhi Commission for Women (DCW), immediately clutched at the news.
- They searched for Geetanjali on Delhi streets. After discovering her, the group took care of Geetanjali.
- The chairperson of the group tried to stop the movie from being premiered.
- The group said it wasn’t trying to ban the movie but was more concerned with the state of Geetanjali as it portrays her character’s real-life incidents in a ruthless way, which may hamper her mental recovery.
- The matter reached Delhi Court after which DCW was given the responsibility to take care of her.