Wiki Biography / Profile Background
- Heather Heying is an evolutionary biologist, freelance scientific and opinion author, and blogger.
- She believes building evolutionary toolkits isn’t just to study animal behavior but also can be applied to the quality of logic and postmodernism in humans.
- Heather has long bucked the status quo and desired power for the powerless. She has been willing to speak to people with whom she disagrees, to discharge rhetoric, broaden society’s mind, and open genuine dialogue.
Personal Life : Parents, Family and Education
- Heather was born to Jessie Carolyn Gutteridge (mother) & Douglas Heying (father). Doug was an Iowa-raised farm boy, who later became a successful computer engineer, and worked for big companies like Honeywell and Teradata Corporation. Doug (1938 – 2013) taught Heather to prefer principles over texts and authorities, despite himself being a stoic German Catholic.
- Right from her childhood, she learned to do math homework in binary, change tires, argue politics, and build fences.
- Heather received her B.A. in Anthropology from the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1992, and a Ph.D. in Biology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2001.
- When at Santa Cruz, she met Bret Weinstein, whom she married later, and they moved to Washington, where they became two of the most popular professors at Evergreen State College.
Education, Career and Controversy :
- Heying and her husband were involved in a 2017 racial discrimination and free speech lawsuit against the Evergreen State College, in which they settled for $500,000 and resigned from their positions.
- Weinstein had written an email to the head of the Multicultural Advising Staff explaining his objections to being mandated to stay off-campus due to his skin color, citing it was a matter of free speech and that the color of one’s skin didn’t qualify constitutional right (or presence on campus).
- He held his biology class in a local park when the campus police said they could not protect him from the harassment and threats and encouraged him not to be on campus. Heying and Weinstein asked for a discussion and attempted to talk to the protestors but were shouted down and vilified.
- The couple had to vacate their offices, after 15 years of scientific study and instruction, in less than 72 hours.
- Heather says their scientific library is still boxed up but that she has no regrets about her time spent at Evergreen State and remembers fondly each of the many students she met.
- Since 2017, Heather has been working to bring the scientific process to students via online courses and considers herself a professor in exile. She has maintained her scientific curiosity and aesthetic enjoyment of the natural world and continues to take students on treks in the wild regions of the globe in search of answers, and more questions.
Fun Facts, Height and Trivia :
- Heather seeks “speed and risk and thrill” but simultaneously enjoys “comfort, warmth, and solitude.”
- She enjoys travel and is often accompanied by her husband and children.
- In March 2016, Heather and several of her students nearly perished in a horrendous boat accident in the Galápagos Islands after spending 11 weeks in Ecuador together.
- Of all the scientific disciplines people pursue, Heather’s dad, Doug, found Biology to be the least interesting.
Karen Straughan Wiki 2023, Age, Books, Wikipedia Bio, Husband Married
Sydney Watson Bio, Wikipedia, Age, Height, Married, Husband, Wiki
Mercedes Schlapp Age, Bio, Husband, Wiki, Fox News, Education
Caolan Robertson Wiki, Age, Bio, Born, Parents, Irish, Height, VICE
Candace Owens Wikipedia, Husband, Age, Birthday【 Conservative Bio 】