Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
Introduction : Who is Amelia Segal ?
- Amelia Segal (Draper) is a meteorologist with Storm Team 4, the meteorologist team at NBC Washington. She is also an Emmy Award-winning journalist.
- Usually, she goes live on weekends at 6pm and 11pm News4 editions, and also broadcasts on 103.5 WTOP Radio.
Early Life, Family & Children :
- Amelia was born in Frederick County. As a child, she always had an interest in mathematics and science.
- In her younger years, she played field hockey & lacrosse in high school due to her brother’s influence in sports.
- She also had a job as a snowboard instructor at Whitetail Ski Resort while in high school.
- She went to Middletown High School, then State College and finally graduated from Pennsylvania State University in Meteorology.
- Family – Amelia’s family consists of her and her brother, together with their parents, Mari (mother) and Dave Segal (father).
- She married Matthew (Matt) Draper on 7th May 2016.
- She has a dog named Cora who has been with her for more than 5 years.
Interesting Facts, Height, Body & Trivia :
- Amelia lives an active lifestyle, doing yoga, running and playing golf on a regular basis.
- Her grandmother was the one who introduced her to the job opening at WJET/WFXP while watching television.
- Amelia never thought that she would become a meteorologist. However, she was always trying to guess the weather when she was a snowboard instructor. This prompted her mother to ask her if she considered meteorology for her future.
- Her friends always get personalised weather forecasts from her.
- Since young, Amelia enjoyed speaking in front of a crowd, which fitted her current career path.
- Her favourite restaurants are Chef Geoff’s & Rogue 24.
- Her favourite weather quote is from the musical My Fair Lady, Henry, I suggest you stick to two topics : the weather and your health.
- Segal is a fan of the professional ice hockey team, Washington Capitals.
Salary, Net Worth & Career : Work as a Weather Girl
- Segal finished college early so she could start working earlier than her peers.
- She landed her first job with CNET while still in college. CNET is an access television channel for Centre County in Pennsylvania.
- After graduating, she interviewed for an opening as a weekend meteorologist in WJET/WFXP in Erie and secured the position.
- While Amelia was there for barely a year, Erie recorded its second snowiest winter – about 145 inches deep.
- A tip from her college friend brought her to Buffalo to join the morning shifts of WIVB-WNLO. She was there for three years.
- One memorable day on the job in Buffalo, was when she was chasing 4 tornadoes in one afternoon.
- Amelia landed her current position when the then news director of NBC 4 Washington, Michael Goldrick was watching a recording of her colleague applying for a position there. The recording showed Amelia doing the weather in the background.
- In March 2013, after much persuasion, Amelia finally accepted the offer to move to Washington to her current post.