Jummy Olabanji Wiki :: Husband, Age, Parents, Wedding, Salary, Bio
Jummy Olabanji Birthday / Age / Date of Birth / DOB
April 1984. As of 2019, she is around 35 years old. Marriage & Wedding / Husband / Engaged / Partner
Currently Married. See details below.
Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Jummy Olabanji is an experienced broadcast journalist and specializes in Video Production Broadcast, Writing and Media Branding.
- Born to two Nigerian parents, Jummy is a top reporter, newscaster & also a multiple Emmy-Award winner.
- A successful woman managing multiple roles, she tries to stay as healthy as possible in her day-to-day life.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Jummy was born on 22nd April 1984 in Toronto and was raised in Fairfax County, Virginia, with her brother. Little is known of her childhood.
- Though born in Toronto, Jummy considers DC as her hometown.
- She currently lives with her husband, Darren Sands in Manhattan, NY. The pair had married in 2017.
Early Life & Education :
- Jummy bagged her degree in Mass Communication, B.A, in Virginia Tech, after studying for a period of four years, from 2002-2006.
- She also has a Master’s degree in Communication and Leadership from Gonzaga University.
- While studying, her writing professor John Carlin served as an inspiration for her entering the world of journalism.
Job, Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- Jummy was an intern for four months at NBC Universal in 2005. She also interned at Media General (WSLS-TV) in Roanoke, Virginia.
- In May 2006, she became a News Assistant for CNN on “The Situation Room” and from 2006-2008, Jummy worked as an anchor reporter for WCAV-TV in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- In January 2013, she started work as an Adjunct Professor at Marymount University, teaching various undergraduate communication courses.
- She resumed work as an anchor and news reporter again for WJLA-TV, before joining NBC New York as an anchor / news reporter in 2017. She continues to work there till date.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Although popularly referred to as just Jummy, which is a nickname, her full name is Olajumoke, a Nigerian name from the Yoruba tribe which means, “Cherished Wealth”.
- Unfortunately, she comes from a family with a history of kidney disease and this fact motivated her to participate in charity races to raise awareness and act as a fundraiser for those who suffer from the disease.
- In 2013, she signed with the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation and recognizing that the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in Washington, DC, was going to fall on her 30th birthday weekend in 2014, she started upping her mileage as she worked towards that goal.
- She pledged to run at least a race every month and has kept up with this promise till now.
- She prefers to stay fit and exercises regularly, even attending yoga classes at times. She also diets, and this has helped her maintain a healthy and happy life.
- A proud member of the National Association of Black Journalists & Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Jummy has six Capital Emmy Awards and two Virginia Associated Press Awards to her name.
- Soledad O’Brien, Tamron Hall, Richelle Carey and Hoda Kotb are few of her inspirations in the field of reporting.
- She produced her first story in March of 2005 & graduated in 2006.
Social Media Presence :
- Jummy is an active social media personality and has a verified account on Instagram with over 5000 followers. She also has over 80,000 tweets and 10,000+ followers on her Twitter account.
- In 2015, she mentioned on Twitter that her mother had a paid maternity full year leave for each of her children.