Eileen Whelan is a meteorologist and weather producer on WJLA-TV (ABC7). She broadcasts weekdays between 4:25 am and 7 am on Good Morning Washington.
- Whelan grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland together with 2 younger siblings, Maureen Whelan and Johnny Whelan.
- Parents : John Wheelan (father) & Linda Whelan (mother)
- Eileen is married to Derek Biss, whom she met on Match.com. Their wedding date was 7 November 2015 & the ceremony took place in Washington, D.C.
- The couple owns a Boston Terrier, named Petey.
- Education : Eileen graduated from Salisbury University with ‘Magna-Cum-Laude’ with a double degree in Earth and Atmospheric Science and Mass Media.
- She was an active student, heavily involved in the National Broadcasting Society, Geographic Society & many other organisations across campus.
Love for Weather:
- Eileen’s passion for weather originated from her father’s business in roofing.
- His business depended heavily on the weather, and she would watch morning weather forecasts together with her father before leaving for school.
- After school, her father entrusted her to provide weather updates to him through mobile.
- She continued to pursue her obsession in weather over the years. As she grew older, she pretended to give “live weather reports” with a paper map pinned in her room, and compared them with the news.
Fun Facts, Height & Measurements :
- Eileen brings the Storm Chaser Hummer to schools to educate them about meteorology, and inspire them to follow their dreams.
- Whelan can do a thread lip trick, where she imagines an invisible string and lifts the side of her upper lip.
- Hobbies – Reading books, trying craft beers, doing outdoor activities and meeting new people.
- She is a fan of the Washington Capitals Ice Hockey Team.
- Eileen is popular on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, amassing thousands followers on each of them.
- As a feature reporter, she has traveled to many places and experienced many activities, such as virtual reality roller coaster, Bubble Ball game, open cockpit plane rides, etc.
Eileen Whelan Salary, Net Worth & Career :
- Eileen interned with WTTG Fox 5 for three months in 2008 as a meteorologist.
- In 2009, she interned with WMDT 47 in Salisbury, Maryland, before landing a job with WBOC-TV.
- She began her career with WBOC-TV, delivering weather forecasts complete with graphics. Initially, she only did the weekend weather forecasts, but later anchored weekdays in the mornings and afternoons.
- After almost 3 years, in 2011 she joined WJLA-TV as a weather producer and has been there ever since.
- Whelan also started work with the sister company of ABC7, News Channel 8, in 2012. She delivered weather updates on 5pm & 10pm weekdays.
- She was promoted to a Storm Chaser Meteorologist on 2013, commuting around the city in the station’s Storm Chaser Hummer to provide live weather updates.
- Eileen started her current position in 2015, in addition to producing live shots for News Channel 8 as a feature reporter.