Somara Theodore, an Emmy award-winning journalist with short, highlighted hair, is the weekend meteorologist for NBC 4 Washington Brand Studio.
Personal Life : Parents & Family
- Theodore, a first-generation American, first decided to get into weather after seeing the movie Twister with her mother.
- Somara’s father is a surgeon & her mother is a midwife/therapist. They came to the US with little in their pockets but used their best asset – their ‘brain’ to carve a great life for themselves & their children.
- Her mom was a strong supporter of her career and pushed her to go to college to study it. When she entered college, she didn’t even know how to work with fractions correctly, let alone with derivatives in calculus. Still, she pushed forward, and ultimately earned her degree.
- She’s given a TEDx Talk on the adversity she went through & it was positively received by the audience
- As a hobby, Somara plays guitar and sings. She also has an eye for fashion and often uses Instagram to promote certain styles.
- In August 2019, Somara tied the knot with her longtime boyfriend, Carl C. Scott. They seem to have been dating before 2015.
Education & College :
- Theodore went into higher education with a plethora of interests. In 2008, she enrolled in Penn State University, a Pennsylvania-based university that has over 24 campuses in multiple countries across the world.
- During her undergraduate career, she joined the Penn State Weather Risk Management Club, where aspiring meteorologists studied local weather patterns; Women In Science, which promotes women in a broad range of scientific fields; and the Figure Skating Club, where she won numerous awards.
- In the summer of 2011, Somara studied abroad in Wuxi, Shanghai, and Beijing, China. She worked through Penn State’s C.H.A.N.C.E. Program and studied as a field researcher.
- During her junior year, she interned for a Washington D.C.-based news station, WUSA-TV, as a weather intern, and she worked as a micrometeorology research assistant for NASA.
- In her senior year, she interned for a local weather station in Atlanta, as well as The Weather Channel, where she worked as an operational graphics intern.
- Theodore graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology & a double minors in Chinese and energy business and finance.
Career, Salary, Net Worth & Profession :
- Right after graduation, Somara got her first job as a weekend meteorologist at WJCL ABC 22, based in Savannah, Georgia.
- She stayed there for two years before moving to Ohio in May 2015 to work as a meteorologist on WEW NewsChannel 5’s Good Morning Cleveland.
- In October 2016, however, Theodore was terminated for standing in line during work hours to get free Jay-Z tickets for a get-out-the-vote concert that supported Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
- According to NewsChannel 5, employees are not supposed to show support for a particular presidential candidate in public, as it could skew their credibility on the air. When they learned that she had used work hours & had supported a candidate in public, they felt that it could be associated with the station, they had to let her go.
- In July 2017, she began a new job at the NBC 4 Washington Brand Studio, where she can be seen reporting the weather most weekends.
Somara Theodore Measurements :
- Eye Color : Brown
- Hair Color : Black
- How tall is Somara Theodore Height : 5′ 4″
- Feet / Legs / Shoe Size : No confirmed information available.
- Pregnant ? : Currently, she is not expecting a baby.
- Married ? : Yes
- Children / No of Kids : –
- Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race : Black
- Nationality : American