|Personal Information Summary
|Age / How old / Birthday / Date of Birth / DOB
|September 7, 1967. As of 2024, she is around 57 years old.
|Barbara Gibbs Mother
|Linnie Scruggs Gibbs
|Barbara Gibbs Father / Dad
|Ferrill Louis Gibbs Sr.
|Wedding & Marriage / Husband / Partner / Boyfriend
|Married. Check the full bio for relationship details.
|Children / No. of Kids
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race
Barbara Gibbs is an experienced journalist, TV host, and news anchor. For the last few years, she has been working as a Morning/Noon Anchor at WTVD-TV ABC11 Eyewitness News in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina.
Personal Life : Parents, Family and Education
- Barbara Gibbs was born on September 7, 1967, in Memphis, Tennessee, to Ferrill Louis Gibbs Sr., and Linnie Scruggs Gibbs. In her childhood, her family moved around twice (Texas and New Jersey) before settling down in Mobile, Alabama. She considers Mobile as her hometown.
- Barbara has two siblings: a sister, Carol Anne Braswell, and a brother, Ferrill Jr.
- After she graduated from high school, Barbara attended Auburn University in Alabama. While there, she achieved a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism with a focus on public relations, and a minor in sociology.
- She is engaged to Kevin Allen. Their wedding was planned for November 14th, 2020, but that date remained uncertain due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Barbara and Kevin were due to be married at the Grand Bohemian Hotel in Asheville, North Carolina. In 2020, the couple was monitoring the COVID-19 restrictions but had stated that they will reschedule the wedding for 2021 if it did not go ahead as planned. After much rescheduling, the wedding finally happened on December 31, 2021.
- Barbara resides in Durham, North Carolina.
TV Career, Job, Salary and Net Worth :
- Barbara worked as a morning anchor and reporter for WTVQ in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Following that, Barbara relocated to Roanoke, Virginia, where she worked for WSLS-TV as a co-anchor of the 6 and 11 newscasts on Channel 10. She was there for two years and was immensely popular at the station before she made an abrupt departure.
- Barbara moved to Raleigh, North Carolina, in 2001. She has been working for ABC 11 Eyewitness News since then and is currently a co-anchor of the morning and noon newscasts.
- Gibbs’ passion has been telling stories about the positive power of the human spirit. In 2008, she won an Emmy for a feature story for Homeless Singers. Homeless Singers is a piece about three homeless men in Raleigh with a desire to be gospel singers. She has done many similar stories since then and has gotten another Emmy nomination for her work.
Interesting Facts and Trivia :
- Gibbs has always been very involved with her community and charity work. She has participated in many events such as the Jimmy V Jr. Celebrity Golf Classic, which raises money for pediatric cancer research, as well as other fundraisers that benefit MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) such as the American Cancer Society, and Building Together Ministries.
- She is very close to her family – she actually attended Auburn University because many of her other family members did. She is a huge fan of the university’s football team – Auburn Tigers.
- Barbara loves dogs and has two of them: a King Charles Cavalier called ‘Darcy,’ and a Maltese called ‘Sophie.’
- She had appeared on the magazine cover of the magazine Roanoker in October 2000. The picture was part of the 40th-anniversary display of the magazine’s covers and had made quite a roar back then.
- Quite a local celebrity, Gibbs has hosted and presented several events in and around North Carolina.
- Barbara is an avid baker, and she is quite skilled at baking cakes. She frequently bakes for bake sales and special occasions, including those of her family and friends.
- In 2013, Barbara appeared in a special walk-on role alongside the cast of the Broadway revival Anything Goes.