|Personal Information Summary
|Mother / Mom
|Age / How old / Birthday / Date of Birth / DOB
|No confirmed information is available.
|Wedding & Marriage / Husband / Engaged / Partner
|Married. Check the full bio for relationship details.
|Is Tisha Powell leaving ABC11?
|Children / No. of Kids
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race
|Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Tisha Powell is a seasoned news presenter and journalist who encourages everyone to be role models that their children can be proud of and emulate.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- Tisha met Second Lieutenant James Wayne in Louisiana. He wanted to make a difference as an Army doctor. James came from humble beginnings in a house with no dishwasher or microwave.
- James and Tisha married in 1998, and she has enjoyed the wild ride that is part of being a military spouse for more than 20 years.
- Powell enjoys being part of the greater military community and deals with the separations and moves with grace, even though she dislikes being alone when something inevitably breaks.
- She feels that she is part of something bigger than herself and is proud of her husband, who is “a glowing example of what a husband and father (to their two daughters) should be.”
- James is now a pediatric UNC physician and Army Reservist, and their family lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Early Life and Education :
- Powell is a Louisiana girl who grew up picking peanuts, okra, and peas on her grandparents’ farm in the bayou.
- She graduated from Loyola University New Orleans with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Political Science.
- Originally, she joined her high school newspaper. That was her introduction to telling other people’s stories.
TV Career, Job, Salary and Net Worth :
- Soon after college, Tisha worked at WCBI in Columbus, Mississippi as a reporter, producer, anchor, and then for WDSU in New Orleans.
- In 2000, Tisha covered the escape of the Texas Seven and the 2003 Spurs NBA Championship, followed by a stint as a health reporter and midday anchor for News 9 San Antonio.
- Tisha Powell joined the Eyewitness News team in 2004. After this move to North Carolina, Powell has covered big stories like Hurricane Katrina, the Pope’s visit, and the Super Bowl 50 road by the Carolina Panthers.
- Powell was a co-anchor for ABC11 Eyewitness News evenings and enjoyed the opportunity to get out into the community and work on special reports. In April 2021, she departed after a 17-year long career with the station.
- The highlights of her career include interviewing former First Lady Michelle Obama and billionaire Oprah Winfrey, jumping with the Army Golden Knights Parachute Team, etc.
Work besides Television :
- Besides her work in front of the camera, Tisha has emceed various regional and national events and states she “knows how hard it can be balancing a family and a career.”
- Tisha is enthusiastic about speaking with other working mothers and sharing experiences so they can learn from one another.
- She has also donned boxing gloves during college graduation, where she was the keynote speaker, stressing that adversity is inevitable but doesn’t have to crush one’s dreams. Tisha’s advice was to SPAR (hence the gloves) which stands for her four rules of success : Set goals, Plan, Appreciate others, and Remain resilient.
Fun Facts, Height and Trivia :
- Tisha and her husband have two daughters born on the same day, 12 years apart.
- She considers herself a fitness enthusiast, and enjoys yoga and biking.
- Besides her broadcasting work, Tisha has worked with organizations like – Girl Scouts, USO of North Carolina, American Heart Association, Fill Your Bucket List Foundation, Book Harvest, etc.