Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Annaka Harris is an American editor and author of children’s books on mindfulness. She is also a consultant and editor on non-fiction books and scientific writing on neuroscience and physics.
Family Background & Married Life :
- Since 2004, Annaka is married to Sam Harris, a prominent neuroscientist, philosopher, and author.
- Her husband, Sam, has courted controversy in his view on Abrahamic religions (especially Islam) & he himself is an atheist.
- The couple work shared similar interests and work closely together. Sam calls her his ‘best editor.
- Very little is known about her background. Like her husband Sam, details of her personal life are mostly private. Sam had quoted security reasons for not divulging much of their private lives in public domain.
- The couple has two daughters, Emma and Violet.
Book & Author :
- Annaka is the author of the children’s book ‘I wonder,’ where the lead character, a child called Eva, explores the world with her mother.
- She learns that there are mysteries that even adults cannot explain, and it is okay to say ‘I don’t know.’ The book has many glowing endorsements from other authors and child development specialist.
- Annaka mentioned in her blog that her daughter inspired the search for the moon. Her daughter was fascinated with the moon when she was 18 months old. There is an illustration of the moon on every page of the book.
Annaka Harris Mindfulness Work :
- Annaka is also interested in the effects of mindfulness, especially on children. She believes that mindfulness will help children develop concentration and self-awareness.
- Her website contains free resources for promoting mindfulness in children from age 6-10 with exercises in breathing, hearing sound and meditation.
- She volunteers as a mindfulness teacher for the Inner Kids organization & has worked with Susan Kaiser Greenland to produce ‘Mindful Games’ activity cards, a whole curriculum on children’s meditation, now available to the wider public.
Trivia, Height & Fun Facts :
- Annaka’s online presence is mainly restricted to promote her scientific interests & her works. Her website contains TEDtalks she enjoys, and they are mainly on mindfulness, children & the world of science.
- In one of her blog posts, she also mentioned that she had stopped taking vitamins since 2007 after hearing a speaker, Larry Norton, at the Aspen Ideas Festival.
- Annaka was the trustee and co-founder of Project Reason together with Sam in 2007. Sam was the chief executive of this organization. Project Reason was a nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. It was dissolved in 2016.
- She is also an advocate of using alternative plastic. Her blog highlighted the danger of using too much plastic, especially for mum with children. She shared her recommendation on alternatives.