Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Sarah Young is an American writer who has penned several award-winning books based on the premise of her communication with God.
- Her work is based on her daily reflections, which she practices by reading, meditation, prayer, and journaling.
Personal Life, Parents & Family Background :
- Sarah Young is married to Steve Young, an ordained minister she met during her Seminary studies.
- Together, they have two children and a few grandchildren.
- Her husband was a missionary in Japan before going to Australia to continue his work as a missionary there.
- Now, Sarah and her husband live in Perth, Australia.
- While living in Australia, Young wrote many of her bestselling books while she and her husband continued their ministry to the Japanese people living there.
Early Life and Education :
- Sarah Young was born in 1946, in Nashville, Tennessee, and remained in the south for the rest of her childhood.
- Young attended Wellesley College where she received a degree in Philosophy.
- She also has degrees in psychology/counseling from Tufts University, Covenant Theological Seminary, and Georgia State University.
- She decided to study philosophy prior to becoming a Christian because she was in search of the “truth.”
- Upon graduation, Young continued to search for that truth by visiting Europe several times. It is during one of these trips while studying at L’Abri in France that she became a Christian.
- She went on to get her Masters in biblical studies and counseling at the Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri.
- She is also a member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
Career, Income, Salary & Net Worth :
- Sarah states that her ministry began after reading the book “God Calling.”
- In 2004, Young published her first book, “Jesus Calling.” Since then, she has gone on to write several devotional books, many winning awards, and/or becoming best sellers.
- All her books are based on the claims that she communicates with God.
- Young practices “listening and writing,” which means she prays for peace and the ability to hear God, asks for the Holy Spirit’s assistance, receives and thanks the Lord for the message, and then writes what she says was communicated to her.
- Due to a practice of writing in the first person, Young’s writing has led her work to be criticized for presenting her personal thoughts and ideas as the Lord’s message. She has defended herself against these critics by stating that when she uses the pronoun “I” in her work, she speaks as if God is speaking to the reader, not as if she (Sarah) is the one doing the speaking.
Trivia, Height & Fun Facts :
- Sarah has sold over 30 million books worldwide!
- Young is said to be a recluse and hardly gives interviews except by email.
- In 2013, her book “Jesus Today” won the ECPA Christian Book Award. “Jesus Always” had won the same award in 2018.