Dr. Robert Ashton was an influential cardiac and thoracic surgeon. He was also a medical correspondent for ABC News, and the ex-husband of TV personality, and fellow doctor Jennifer Ashton.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- Dr. Robert C. Ashton was born in 1965 in Vineland, New Jersey, to parents Bob and Lillian Ashton.
- Robert grew up in New Jersey and attended the St Augustine Preparatory School in Richland.
- After graduating from St Augustine Preparatory School, Robert relocated to Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he attended Muhlenberg College from 1983 to 1987. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree, majoring in biology and philosophy.
- Robert then attended the Medical College of Pennsylvania, graduating as a Doctor of Medicine (MD) in 1992.
- Robert married Jennifer Ashton, a physician, and TV personality, on August 31, 1996.
- He had two children with Jennifer Ashton, son Alex Ashton and daughter Chloe Ashton.
- Robert and Jennifer separated in November 2016 and were officially divorced in January 2017.
- On February 11th, 2017, only weeks after the divorce was made official, Robert ended his life by jumping off the George Washington Bridge, uniting New York City to New Jersey.
Work : Career, Income, Salary and Net Worth
- Robert was a highly successful surgeon and medical expert.
- He was a thoracic surgery resident at the Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC) from July 1998 to June 2000.
- He then co-founded the company MDLinx in 2000. In 2006, the company was bought by SONY.
- From March 2009 to April 2012, Robert worked as a thoracic surgeon at the Montefiore Medical Centre.
- He was then the Chief Medical Officer for Advanced Practice Strategies (APS) from 2012 to 2014.
- From 2014 to 2016, Robert was the Chief Medical Officer for the MYOS Corporation.
- In July 2012, he joined the board of directors of Jenrin Discovery, a medicinal chemistry research company.
- In October 2013, he also joined the board of directors of CytImmune Sciences, a nanomedicine company.
- At the time of his death, Robert was the chief medical director for Cambridge Therapeutic.
Interesting Facts, Height and Trivia :
- Robert’s daughter, Chloe Ashton, is a hockey player. She was a Division 1 player for Harvard University’s ice hockey team.
- Robert’s ex-wife Jennifer Ashton is the current chief medical correspondent for ABC News.
- Jennifer was deeply affected by Robert’s suicide, especially as she was named as his emergency contact in his final note. Jennifer spoke in public about the impact that this made on her in a 2018 appearance on Good Morning America,, during which George Stephanopoulos interviewed her. She has since discussed this further in a book she has written titled Life After Suicide, which Harper Collins published in May 2019.
- Robert was known as a prestigious expert in the medical field, particularly regarding preventive medicine, and throughout his career, he published over 75 manuscripts, abstracts, and articles.
- He also contributed his medical expertise to The Today Show, Fox News, CBS World News, and MSNBC.