Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Rachel Brathen is a Swedish yoga instructor based in Aruba. Also known as “Yoga Girl,” Brathen is the author of the best selling book of the same name.
- Brathen is also a motivational speaker and has a strong social media presence, speaking to her fans and followers through her blog and Instagram account, using honesty and vulnerability as ways to communicate.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Born on October 5, 1988, Rachel was born and raised in Sweden, where she led a turbulent childhood, including her parents’ divorce, a suicidal mother and an abusive boyfriend, amongst other things.
- When she was 18 years old, Rachel’s mother sent her on a meditation course that changed her life, making her realize that there was more to life than boys and alcohol.
- After years of traveling around the word, she settled in Aruba after visiting the island on a family holiday. It was here that she met her husband-to-be Dennis Schoneveld, who owned a surf shop there.
- The couple quickly moved in together and are now bringing up their daughter, Lea Luna, who was born in 2017. They live together as a family with their two dogs.
Early Life & Education :
- Rachel had a wild youth, traveling from place to place, with no money and no fear!
- She had adventures exploring various countries, harmful substances, music etc. before realizing she had to reassess her life if she truly wanted to find happiness and be at peace with herself.
Book, Quotes & Net Worth :
- Brathen works at a wellness resort in Aruba, where she teaches 15 to 20 yoga classes a week.
- She is the first yoga instructor to combine yoga with paddle boarding, teaching yoga on the water around the world at wellness resorts and festivals.
- She is also well-known for her focus on handstands and arm balances within her yoga practice.
- In 2015, Rachel published her first book Yoga Girl, which became a New York Times Bestseller, in which she talks about her life from her insecure teenage years to the happy, peaceful life she has built for herself through her yoga practice. It also includes step-by-step instructions for yoga sequences as well as recipes and advices about life.
- Brathen has founded and worked on many organizations and platforms such as her online yoga studio One Eight, an animal rescue organization Sgt. Pepper’s friends and social mission organization 109.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Brathen has not weighed herself since she was 17 years old. By practicing yoga, she has changed the way she thinks about and understands her body.
- Serving as an inspiration to others, when asked who inspires her, Brathen answers that it is her students who inspire her, as they are what motivate her to continue what she does everyday.
- Besides doing yoga, Rachel loves to cook and shares her recipes on her blog.
- Her dog Ringo the Gringo has his own Instagram account and has 100,000+ followers.