Lauren Ashburn is an American news editor, anchor, reporter, and producer. She currently works for the Catholic news station, Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN).
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- Lauren E. Ashburn was born on July 4, 1967.
- She was adopted as a newborn by parents Warren Ashburn (father) and Ellen Ashburn (mother).
- On June 12, 1993, Lauren married Washington attorney, Paul Dueffert. At the time of their wedding, Lauren was 25 & Paul was 30.
- The couple now has three children together: Jack, 23; Juliette, 20; and Samantha, 15 (ages as of 2023).
- They also have two Boston Terriers named Georgia and Rory.
Education : Qualifications, High School & College Info
- Graduating in 1985 from Holy Name High School, in Reading, Pennsylvania, Lauren went just down the street to earn a B.A. in English from Albright College. There, she fell in love with journalism after taking courses in the field. For one class, she trained a squirrel (with peanut butter) to appear as though it was using a typewriter. She filmed it to the song, “9 to 5” and submitted it as a documentary called, A Day in the Life of A.C. Squirrel.
- In her junior year, she spent a semester abroad studying Spanish at the Universidad de Salamanca in Spain.
- After taking a few years off to work, Lauren returned to school to earn her Master’s degree in Broadcast Journalism from Columbia University. She graduated in 1993 from the Ivy League School. During her time there, she was the winner of Albright’s Young Alumna Achievement Award.
Career, Job, Salary and Net Worth :
- Between degrees, Lauren honed her journalism skills working as a writer and editor at the Potomac Communications Group in Washington, DC.
- From 1993-2000, she then worked in a series of jobs: writer/producer at NBC News; Producer at Fox 5 News; Reporter/anchor at WHP-TV; and Reporter/anchor at WJLA-TV.
- In July of 2000, Lauren embarked on a 10-year career with Gannett Broadcasting and USA Today, working in roles ranging from correspondent, to host, to producer. At one time, she was managing editor for 22 different stations with the broadcasting company.
- Over the next 2 years, she worked as a contributor for PBS NewsHour, Newsweek, The Daily Beast, Fox News Channel and The Hill. She has appeared as an analyst on MSNBC and CNN, and regularly appeared alongside Fox News hosts, Bill O’Reilly and Neil Cavuto.
- In December 2015, Lauren was hired by EWTN as the White House Correspondent and political director. Within a year, she became the managing editor and anchor for her own show, News Nightly with Lauren Ashburn — roles she still fills.
- She is also the founder of consulting and production firm, Ashburn Media Company, and founder of the Daily Download — an online daily news source that is often referenced by major news networks.
Interesting Facts and Trivia :
- Openly and avidly pro-life, Lauren has met her biological mother and thanked her for giving her life.
- Her “fantasy dinner” guests would include Princess Diana, Humphrey Bogart, Edward R. Murrow and Mother Theresa.
- At one time, Lauren and her close-knit girlfriends ran a weekly book club. They changed to a poker night when they realized no one was reading the books.