Samantha Bryant is a young multimedia journalist. She worked at WPLG Local 10 in Miami for many years. Bryant has also done some work in the world of finance as an options trader and investor.
Personal Life : Family & Education
- Samantha Jennell Bryant was born on November 18th, 1996, in Miami, Florida, to parents Annmarie Preddie Bryant and Trevor Ray Bryant.
- She has a brother, Michael Bryant.
- Samantha is of Jamaican descent. Her mother, Annmarie Preddie Bryant, is from Mandeville, Jamaica.
- For her High School Diploma, Bryant attended New World School of the Arts from 2010 – 2014, and graduated ‘Cum-Laude’.
- Later, she headed to the University of South Florida (USF), majoring in Political Science & Mass Communications with a concentration in Broadcast News, and graduated in 2017. She was a part of the Zeta Upsilon Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and the President of the USF Collegiate Chapter of National Pan-Hellenic Council.
- Samantha also received the Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship awarded by the University of South Florida Alumni Association during her sophomore year of college.
- Currently, she resides in North Miami, Florida.
- Samantha likes to keep her private life away from the public eye and has provided little information about her personal relationships on social media.
TV Career : Salary & Net Worth
- From January 2015 to May 2015, Samantha worked as an intern for WFLA New Channel 8 (NBC’s Tampa Affiliate Station). At the station, she wrote, reported, and edited news packages varying from 1 to 3 minutes covering daily news, political events, crime scenes, etc.
- In the summer of 2016, Samantha was part of the team sent by NBC Universal to cover the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She was a runner.
- At the Olympics, she assisted broadcast managers with production for the Opening and Closing ceremonies and assisted on-air sports correspondents with athlete interviews after track and field events.
- In 2014, Samantha joined WPLG Local 10 Miami as an Emma Bowen Foundation Fellow. She was initially an on-air newsroom intern, then a full-time journalist. She was also a traffic reporter on the channel’s morning show, as well as a fill-in noon anchor. During her time at WPLG, she gained experience in all aspects of broadcast journalism.
- Samantha wrote, reported, edited, and produced news stories. She also co-managed the news desk. She learned how to decipher high-technology traffic instruments to deliver traffic news reports covering Miami-Dade and Broward County. She was particularly involved with reporting on traffic during the 4:30-9 am broadcast and the 6 pm broadcast.
- Her other responsibilities included co-managing the news desk by reviewing and planning future news stories, scheduling reporter assignments, and administering and controlling police scanners.
- Samantha also wrote news articles for daily stores and created interactive articles for the Local10 website.
- At the moment, Samantha is taking some time away from her broadcast journalism career, and she is focusing on her finance job as an options trader and investor. She also offers mentoring in the realm of finance.
Other Jobs & Profession :
- Bryant is one of the University of Florida’s (USF) Women of Color Golf Ambassadors and in this capacity, she mentors teenagers and young adults in matters such as financial literacy and golf. She learned golf while she was a student at USF and continues to enjoy it.
- She is an Emma Bowen Foundation Scholarship – Scholar. She was chosen as one of 40 students from more than 2,000 applicants nationally to participate in a four-year work-study program at a local news station. For Samantha, the internship involved a four-year work placement at the local TV station – WPLG.
- Bryant has her own website where she posts highlights and videos of her work.
Interesting Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Samantha is a passionate storyteller.
- Bryant also enjoys writing poetry, playing golf, and mentoring high school girls in the Miami and Tampa Bay area.
- She has limited working proficiency in Brazilian Portuguese & has even done an interview in Portuguese. This skill came in handy when she was covering the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro for NBC Universal.
- Samantha is a registered Democrat voter.
- She has cited her main inspirations as being Donna Brazile, a political analyst, and Don Lemon, an anchor at CNN. Following their example, Samantha was drawn to journalism from an early age and started covering stories within her community