|Personal Details Summary|
|Age / How old / Birthday / Date of Birth / DOB||November 23, 1981. As of 2022, she is around 41 years old.|
|Siblings||Three. Sonia is the youngest child in her family, and so, was a bit pampered.|
|Wedding & Marriage / Husband / Spouse / Dating||Married (possibly separated). See below for relationship details.|
|Is Sonia Beeksma Married?||See below for relationship details.|
|Is Sonia Beeksma still on eTalk?||Yes|
|Children / No. of Kids||1 daughter named Mariah|
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race||South Asian (Indian)|
Sonia Beeksma (maiden name Sonia Mangat) is an Indian-Canadian TV personality who specialises in weather and entertainment reporting. Up until early 2020, she worked at the CTV network, based in Vancouver. Then, she moved from the laid-back West Coast to the bustling city of Toronto, when she joined the CTV eTalk team.
Personal : Parents, Education & Family Background
- Sonia Beeksma was born in New Delhi, India, and moved to Canada at the age of nine. She had no knowledge of English when she arrived.
- Her childhood and teenage years were spent dancing hip hop and jazz, performing for her family and competing in dance competitions.
- Sonia was married and has a daughter Mariah, born in 2011. However, she seems to be no longer married as she started using her birth name Sonia Mangat.
- Sonia calls her daughter “the purpose of her life”. As a mother, she endeavours to bestow upon Mariah all the needed wisdom and values to move through life with happiness and grace.
- Sonia attended the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) and completed a Broadcasting Performing Arts Program in 2009.
Education, Career, Salary & Net worth :
- In her mid-20s, Sonia worked as a medical lab technician. However, she decided to head back to school to study broadcasting.
- From 2016 to 2020, Sonia worked as a weather anchor and entertainment reporter at Bell Média, for CTV Vancouver.
- Prior to this, she was a community reporter for Global Television (BC) and a freelance reporter for Warner Bros. At Global TV, she hosted and produced the community calendar on the Weekday Morning News.
- In 2016, Sonia was awarded the Broadcast Performer of Tomorrow” by the British Columbia Association of Broadcasters for her performance at Global TV as their weekend’s weather specialist.
Loving the Profession :
- Sonia spent most of her teen years dancing professionally and doing commercials for brands such as Listerine, LG, Air Canada, and others. Hence, she knew she would be somehow involved in the media business when she grew up.
- On the other hand, ever since she was young, she also had a passion for storytelling. It was an internship at eTalk Toronto, that not only fuelled her interest in the entertainment world but introduced her to journalism.
- Sonia’s favourite part of her career is being able to cover compelling community stories. Meeting interesting people & telling the stories about their triumphs and woes keeps her motivated.
- She says it’s due to her being energetic that she loves covering such different topics. Those could range from “the abundance of rain to a story on Harold’s restaurant, named after a man who had lunch in the exact same seat for 35 years.” Her broadcasting style can be described as versatile.
Interesting Facts & Trivia :
- Sonia can speak three languages fluently – English, Hindi, and Punjabi.
- Hip Hop Dancing, Swimming, Weight Training, Biking, Hiking, and Pilates are a few of her hobbies.
- Sonia has appeared as a ‘reporter’ and ‘news anchor’ on a number of popular television shows, including Lucifer, iZombie, and Supernatural.
- Sonia’s fashion style, which she proudly shows off on her Instagram account, has been praised and recognized, not only by the viewers but also by many digital platforms, such as Wardrobe Apparel.
- Beeksma told The Anthology she usually follows the rule ‘less is more,’ so she doesn’t wear many expensive items, consequently looking more approachable.
- One time, she received an email from a supporter congratulating her on her pregnancy, but it was just a bow that made it look like a baby bump.
- She loves going to water parks and often trying out new restaurants with her family.
- In 2015, Sonia was interviewed by the online platform “Daily Hive” on their segment Women of Vancouver. She admitted the most challenging part of her life was balancing motherhood with her career, which she still strives to achieve. Nonetheless, she would like to remain in the industry with deeper roots in the future. She revealed she would like to be part of a morning program, “to help people start their day positively.”
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, Sonia was living in a household of three – with her young daughter and her aging father.
- Some of Sonia’s favourites that she mentioned in an interview are as follows :
- Favourite Flower : Ranunculus
- Favourite City to Visit : New York
- Favourite Fashion Brand : Ralph & Russo
- Favourite App : Pinterest