|Personal Details Summary|
|Age / How old / Birthday / Date of Birth / DOB||As of 2023, she is around 45 years old.|
|Wedding & Marriage / Husband / Boyfriend||Married. This is her second marriage. Check the full bio for relationship details.|
|Children / No. of Kids||2|
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race||Filipino|
Joanna Berryman is an interior designer, better known as the ex-wife of Coldplay band member Guy Berryman. They both were sweethearts from school.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- Berryman was born in Hong Kong & moved to the United Kingdom after her parents divorced.
- Her mother, Monette, is whom Joanna credits with igniting her passion for travel and fashion. Her mom is of Filipino descent.
- At age 11, Joanna went to boarding school & remembers that she really enjoyed having other children around.
- While growing up, Joanna discovered her own style as she learned to modify her small bedroom space and develop her fashion identity.
- Joanna was married to her first husband, Guy Berryman bassist from Coldplay for three years from 2004 onwards. They divorced amicably in 2007 and the couple has a daughter named Nico.
- As a child growing up with divorced parents, Joanna insisted that both (she & Guy) be available and work together, respecting each other’s roles, while raising their daughter.
- Joanna is newly married to Philip Bergkvist, Encycle CEO. They have a daughter named Romy and a puppy named Dolly.
- Nico’s pregnancy and birth were very medically controlled, but during her second child Romy’s birth, Joanna enlisted the assistance of a hypnotherapist, a doula, and a mom-daughter midwife duo who convinced her that a homebirth was possible. Besides candlelight and some of her favorite music, there was no noise or monitoring. She was also surprised at how rapidly her body recovered. A half-hour later after birth, Joanna was sitting in bed eating croissants and coffee.
- Being pregnant was amazing for Jo’s creativity, but it became more challenging once Romy arrived. She is resolute to achieve everything but is very realistic about what being a modern working mother involves.
Early Work in Fashion Industry :
- Berryman worked at Elle and Elle Girl, and Agent Provocateur’s luxury lingerie, before freelancing and opening her fashion-forward shop, Jezebell.
- Joanna says the fashion world was “dissatisfying” & closed her store soon but credits it with being a great educational experience.
- Joanna learned about location, audience & her own ability to multi-task because of this failed store. She says she gained insight and perspective into taking care of herself and is a firm believer in essential oils, yoga & bubble baths.
Interior Design Career and Net Worth :
- Berryman launched her interior design company from her home with minimal startup costs in 2009.
- She had received no formal training in either design or fashion. Eventually, she set up an office in northwest London with a focus on using reclaimed objects and upcycling.
- She describes her style as “quintessentially English, but with a quirk.”
- Berryman is all about upcycling and allowing her client’s passion to ignite the project. She describes her design style as classic midcentury with a bit of renaissance glamour, all spliced together superbly.
More Details on Store :
- Joanna’s store, Matrushka, is named after the stacking Russian dolls, and is a twist on giving projects an unexpected juxtaposition or unusual use.
- She likes pairing old bits of fabric-covered furniture with something concrete or metal, just to mix things up. Frequently she travels outside the U.K. for treasures and finds places like Paris and Brussels have wonderful shops, flea markets, and bargains.
- Joanna believes interior design is fashion, art, and functionality combined, with a constant push and pull on which realm is more influential.
- Berryman now also has her own Matrushka boutique online, a design team, and two home studios located in London and Bath, U.K.
- She has worked on a range of commercial and residential properties, public spaces, and multiple celebrity clients. Her projects are international, spanning from the USA to Asia.
- Joanna enjoys the freedom of working from her townhouse in Hampstead, but still goes into the old Soho BBC building where her office is several days a week.