Wiki Biography / Profile Information
- Sunita Kejriwal is well-known for being the wife of Arvind Kejriwal, who is the seventh chief minister of Delhi and holds the post till date.
- Sunita’s husband, Arvind Kejriwal is the founder and current President of the AAP (Aam Aadmi Party), an Indian political party that made waves in its early years over their different approach to politics. Arvind has also served as the CM of Delhi for two consecutive terms.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Sunita was born and raised in New Delhi. She completed her Master’s with a focus on Zoology and then went on to appear for the Indian Civil Services Examination.
- After cracking the tough entrance exam, she was selected for the IRS (Indian Revenue Service) 1993 batch and started her training.
- In 1993, while training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Academy of Administration in Mussoorie, she met her husband-to-be, Arvind Kejriwal.
- The two trained in the same batch again at The National Academy for Direct Taxes in Nagpur and it was here that Arvind proposed to her. They were then married in 1994 before they got their first postings in New Delhi.
- A year after their marriage, the couple’s first child, Harshita Kejriwal was born. Their son, Pulkit Kejriwal was born in 2001.
- Sunita’s daughter, Harshita made news for scoring a 96% on her Class 12 Board Exams and she was then accepted into the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology, her father’s alma mater.
- Similarly, in May 2019, her son Pulkit scored an excellent 96.4%, and she posted about it proudly on social media.
- Due to her husband’s high-profile job, Sunita has been no stranger to controversies, the most infamous one being about a BJP spokesperson, Harish Khuranna.
- Harish filed an official complaint against Sunita for having multiple Voter ID Cards in 2019. These cards are used for voting identification and a person can legally have only one. This was in retaliation after the “Aam Admi Party” accused a member of BJP, Gautam Gambhir for having multiple Voter ID cards.
- Another controversy sparked when Arvind tweeted a picture of them hugging as a way to thank her after his win in the 2015 elections. This caused as a stir as political wives in India are kept at a distance from everything their husband does, unless they are specifically needed.
Career, Job, Salary & Net worth :
- After finishing her training for the IRS, Sunita started working for and stayed in active service for the next 22 years.
- Her last posting was as a Commissioner of Income Tax in the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) in Delhi and then in 2016, she opted for Voluntary Retirement. She was eligible for her pension as she served for more than 20 years.
- This move received attention as the media claimed that the real reason for her voluntarily retiring was because of the ongoing negative issues between BJP- led Union Government and her husband’s AAP party. She feared victimization and being pulled into this battle of leaders.
- In 2014, Arvind contested against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Varanasi at the Lok Sabha polls. She could not openly campaign for him as it goes against the rules and regulations of the Indian Civil Service. Instead, she took a long leave of absence and took charge of the kitchen to feed party supporters who came to campaign for Arvind.