|Personal Details Summary
|Date of Birth / Birthday / How old is Bart Durham Age
|Born in 1935. As of 2024, he is around 89 years old.
|Wedding & Marriage / Wife / Spouse / Partner
|Married. Check the full bio for relationship details.
|Children / No. of Kids
|Ethnicity / Origin / Heritage / Race
|What disease does Bart Durham have?
|In September 2007, he underwent triple bypass surgery. He has been hospitalized four times and had three stents placed. Two days after his bypass surgery, his kidneys failed. It was predicted that he might not live, but despite all odds, he still works and lives.
Bart Durham is an American Lawyer who is based in Tennessee. Dedicated to his profession, he has been in the game for more than five decades and specializes in areas such as wrongful death, serious injury, and auto accidents.
Personal Life : Parents, Family and Education
- Bart was raised in his hometown of Ripley, Tennessee, 50 miles from Memphis. Ripley had a population of just 3000 people.
- Bart’s parents were married for 17 years before they had him, and Bart has talked about how hard they worked to give him a childhood they never had.
- He had a small-town upbringing in a family filled with lawyers, from his dad to his grandfather on his mother’s side.
- Bart attended the Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, before serving in the U.S. Army for years and eventually obtaining his degree in law from The University of Memphis, School of Law in Memphis, Tennessee. While in college, he was a part of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.
- Durham passed his bar exam in September 1963 & remembers going to the First Methodist Church, Ripley, Tennessee, with his father to pray and thank God that he had passed.
Bart Durham Net Worth, Law Firm & Case Reviews :
- Bart began his career practicing law alongside his father in Ripley, Tennessee, before he passed away.
- He worked as an Assistant United States Attorney in Memphis, Tennessee, from 1966 to 1969.
- He also worked for Thomas L. Robinson, a U.S Attorney he has described as fierce but very well-respected and a true mentor who gave Bart his work ethic.
- He then moved to Nashville, Tennessee, where he worked as an Assistant Attorney General from 1969 to 1975, a job he described as less intense with more time for research on their cases that included civil rights cases across the region.
- Durham branched out in 1975 and began his private practice working with his partner, Henry Haile. His practice grew over the years and now employs a number of lawyers & staff members in places such as Franklin and Nashville.
- After TV advertising for lawyers became legal in 1977, Bart was the first Nashville attorney to embrace it.
- Until the early 1990s, Bart’s law office had several departments like bankruptcy, criminal, workers’ compensation, and personal injury. The profitability of the personal injury practice quickly became apparent, so Bart phased out the other areas of practice.
- Over the years, settlements totaling several millions of dollars have been settled by Bart’s law office.
Marriage and Children :
- Bart’s 53-years-old son Blair Durham (age as of 2024) is also an attorney & practices law alongside him. He is also a former Marine. Bart has said that he now gets to relive his law career through Blair.
- Bart’s other son Colin Durham is a graduate from Samford University & is married to Michele, who is also an attorney.
- He also has grandchildren – Ethan & Addy.
- Bart & his current wife Cindy (who is of Asian descent) were married in December 2012 at Blair’s House. Cindy received her American citizenship after a journey of 6 years.
Interesting Facts and Trivia :
- Bart experienced his very first elevator ride when he was just a young boy in Nashville, Tennessee. One of his third cousins, who also practiced law regularly, took him to his office and would pick him up so he could press the buttons in the elevator.
- When Dr. Martin Luther King was shot and killed by James Earl Ray, Bart was working a couple of blocks away in the Federal Courthouse Office. He even accompanied FBI agents to the boarding house from where James Earl Ray had fired his shot and was even allowed to stand in the spot that Dr. King was standing on that fateful day.
- Bart & his firm have been well-known for their innovative commercials for several decades.
- When he is not working, Durham loves to give back to his community and takes part in various charity events and organizations to help out the less privileged.
- After suffering chest pain in August 2006, he went on to have triple bypass surgery in 2007.
- Bart’s tips for becoming a great personal injury lawyer – Have tons of empathy and a strong work ethic.
Health Update :
- Did Bart Durham retire? : Bart is still very much alive, and has said that he never wants to ‘fully retire.’