Dave Castro is the director of CrossFit Games, a popular, nationally televised fitness tournament where competitors compete to be the ‘Fittest on Earth’.
Early Life, Family & Education :
- Born and bred in San Jose, California, Castro’s Mexican parents, especially his hardworking truck driving father, instilled in him an ethic of hard work, determination and strong values.
- Castro and his family moved to Aromas, CA when he was in the second grade.
- He attended Watsonville High School, graduating in 1996. While Watsonville was made up of 85% Mexican origin students, Castro still felt that he was an outsider since he did not speak Spanish.
- In high school, he played football as a wide receiver.
Dave Castro Navy Seal Career :
- Castro attributs his career in the Navy Seals to the movie ‘The Rock.’ He watched it in the summer after his high school graduation and was enthralled by the Navy Seals who were rescuing the hostages.
- Dave started researching all about them, buying DVDS, reading up on them in the local library and even going to the Army Surplus store.
- He started training for it early and told his parents that he was going to apply even though he already had a place in California State University.
- Finally, he dropped out of college after three months & join the Navy boot camp in 1997. He got through the Basic Underwater Demolition BUD SEAL training and in 1998, was assigned to his first SEAL team.
- Castro spent about 13 years in the Navy.
CrossFit Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- Castro was always interested in tough fitness regimes and diet.
- However, during a deployment to Afghanistan with the navy, he was curious about how climbers and mountaineers stayed fit. He then meet up with Mark Twight, one of the world’s top climbers, who introduced him to CrossFit. Castro was initially skeptical but once he tried it and got results, he was hooked.
- Dave started training at CrossFit Headquarters before joining the Level 1 seminars and then interning with CrossFit. His role developed into director of training.
- In 2007, he invited Coach Glassman, the founder of CrossFit, to his parents’ ranch in Aromas. Glassman really liked the place and hatched an idea about a Woodstock of Fitness.
The CrossFit Games..A Big Success :
- The CrossFit Games debuted in 2011 and right in the first year, 26,000 contestants signed up. The numbers increased exponentially year on year, showing how popular the programme is. It spawned a whole community who waited in anticipation whenever Dave reveals any new training programmes or category to do with the competition. Castro oftenposts clues on his social media.
Trivia, Height & Interesting Facts :
- Dave loves Harley Davidson motorcycles, owning a Road Glide from the famous manufacturer.
- He also admits that his strict Paleo and CrossFit diet flies against his mother’s need to feed him carb-heavy Mexican and Cuban cuisine, which has rice as a staple.
- The biggest weight that he has squatted is 151 kg.