Biography Profile / Wikipedia Information
- Lisa Nichols is an American business owner, bestselling author and award-winning motivational speaker.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Lisa was born in 1966, in Los Angeles, California.
- Quite close with her family, she has often brought her son; her dad, Theodore; and her brother, James, with her on some of her work trips.
- She also regularly features her mom; maternal grandma, Blanche; and nephew, Adren, on her social media.
- In 1994, Lisa gave birth to her son, Jelani. Eight months later, Jelani’s father went to prison and was still there as of 2016. Needing to go on government assistance to support her son, Lisa hit rock bottom when she tried to withdraw $20 from her bank account to buy diapers, and found that she only had $11.42 to her name!
- After wrapping Jelani in towels for two days, she promised him she would never go broke again.
Early Life & Education :
- Growing up in a rough neighborhood in the middle of Crips territory, Lisa’s life could have gone in a different direction.
- She attended Dorsey High School (who at one time had to play football games against rival Crenshaw H.S. during the day for fear of gang violence) & never received a higher grade than a C+.
- After one year of college, Nichols was kicked out because she could not afford tuition. Moving into the workforce, she was fired by five different jobs in her 20s.
- Still, glimpses of her resiliency and desire for change shined through when she marched down Western Avenue following the 1992 riots in L.A., fighting for the burnt down liquor stores to not be re-opened.
Business Career, Salary & Net Worth :
- In her late 20s, Lisa got a job running the Family Resource Center at the L.A. Unified School District. She started the program “Motivating the Teen Spirit,” which aimed to empower youth from all backgrounds.
- After attending numerous conferences and lectures on entrepreneurship, Nichols founded “Motivating the Masses” in 1998, which became the first motivational company to go public in 2013.
- Lisa’s company offers coaching to small business owners, entrepreneurs and managers for personal and professional development. To date, its global reach has served over 30 million people.
Lisa Nichols Books & Other Work :
- Now a six-time bestselling author, Lisa’s big breakthrough came when she was featured as one of the main teachers in the internationally acclaimed book, The Secret for her theory on The Law of Attraction.
- She has also contributed to two books of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series and published her most recent book, Abundance Now: Amplify Your Life and Achieve Prosperity in 2015.
- One of the most sought-after motivational speakers in the world, Lisa has appeared on Oprah, The Today Show and Extra, to name a few.
Fun Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Described as “brilliant” by Lisa, her son Jelani’s father has authored 14 books from prison and was even published before she was.
- Once discouraged by her teachers, Jelani was inducted into the Dorsey High School Hall of Fame at their 75th anniversary in 2012.
- November 20th has been declared as “Motivating the Teen Spirit Day” In Henderson, Nevada.
- In Houston, Texas, May 9 is celebrated as “Lisa Nichol’s Day,” honoring her dedication to service, philanthropy and healing.