John Paul Fitzgerald, called J.P., is a man known for knowing what to say and when to say it, and it has made him an affluent man in the world of golf.
Personal Life, Parents and Family Details :
- JP Fitzgerald was raised in Castleknock, Dublin, and has always been inclined to stay in the background and has a stellar dry sense of humour.
Early Career and Education :
- Fitzgerald worked the Irish Amateur Close week at Tramore and Portstewart and developed his caddie technique.
- J.P. attended East Tennessee State University on a golf scholarship, the first international golfer recruited by coach Fred Warren, and then returned to Ireland to caddy for Paul McGinley in 1995.
- In 1994, while working for McGinley, he stayed with a friend to stay within a strict budget; however, his modest resourcefulness and careful speech soon earned him a place on the green.
- He then worked with Darren Clarke, Greg Owen, and Ernie Els for a brief period each. A caddie is part coach, part psychologist, and full-time encourager who carries about fifty pounds of baggage and equipment for any weather or shot condition.
Stint with Rory McIlroy : Salary and Net Worth :
- Rory McIlroy’s manager, Chubby Chandler of International Sports Management, recommended J.P. to him as a caddie.
- Fitzgerald began to work for Rory McIlroy in 2008 and spent nine years as his caddie. Their first win came in 2009 at the Dubai Desert Classic when McIllroy was just nineteen years old.
- Over the next decade, J.P. has given Rory encouragement however it was needed, once even including an x-rated pep talk which included the phrase “You’re Rory McIlroy, what the **** are you doing?” That comment launched McIlroy back into the tournament.
- J.P. has also lugged Rory’s bag across countless greens, emblazoned with the name of a local children’s charity or Rory’s foundation, then assisting in auctioning it off after the event.
- In 2017, the two split professionally so that they can maintain a great friendship, with Rory stating that he was “getting really hard on him on the golf course” and sometimes discovered to preserve a personal relationship one has to sacrifice a professional one.
Fun Facts, Height and Trivia :
- J.P. has the record currently in Irish golf as the highest earning European (and possibly American) caddie to date.