Biography Profile / Information
- Radhika Jones considers herself a true American journalist, who brings a worldwide perspective and curiosity to her role as Editor-In-Chief of Vanity Fair.
Personal Life : Parents & Family :
- Radhika was born on January 23, 1973, in New York.
- Her father was an American 1950s and 60s Vanguard Records and Newport Folk Festival vocalist, singer, and guitarist Robert Jones, and her mother was originally from India.
- Her parents eloped in Paris when her mother came to Europe to study languages, and her father worked for Festival Productions and toured with Duke Ellington’s Orchestra and the New York Jazz Repertory Company.
- Radhika’s parents traveled together throughout Asia, the Soviet Union, and both Eastern and Western Europe.
Radhika Jones Heritage, Childhood & Education :
- Radhika grew up primarily in Ridgefield, Connecticut, and Cincinnati, Ohio.
- She has two siblings, who all traveled to visit their mother’s family in Mumbai regularly. They often visited New York City every summer.
- Jones went to Harvard University and has a Ph.D. in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University, and has been frequent faculty teaching writing and literature.
- Jones also speaks Russian, although admittedly she is a bit unpracticed. She has also lived in Taiwan, pursuing journalism, and has worked for publications like Artform, Grand Street, and Colors.
Job, Salary, Net Worth & Profession :
- Radhika began her career in Moscow as the Editor of the English Arts department for the Moscow Times.
- At present, she is the Editor-In-Chief of Vanity Fair (VF) magazine.
- In the past, she has also served as Editorial Director at The New York Times, Deputy Managing Director of Time magazine, and the Managing Editor of The Paris Review.
- In a media interview after her appointment as Vanity Fairs first-ever woman of color Editor-In-Chief, Jones stated “there is nothing else out there quite like Vanity Fair…it drives our understanding of our culture mixed with powerful narrative and irresistible photography.
- A few have wondered at her recent appointment, knowing the Vanity Fair century long formula has been glamour, power, success, and buoyancy, whereas Radhika had a more studious background. It appears Jones must take the experience of helping Time magazine transition into the digital age, and work it on a larger scale for Vanity Fair.
- She is tasked with taking digitally savvy readers into a virtual Vanity Fair without destroying the exclusiveness of all that is VF.
- Many see this transition as guiding the cultural and political scene of the magazine into an in-depth analysis rather than the vapor of celebrity-obsessiveness.
Current Life :
- Currently, Radhika lives in Brooklyn with her husband, owner of MVP Design LLC architecture firm, Max Petersen, and their son.
- In 2004, Jones and her friend learned Bhangra, a folk dance that originated in Pakistan and Northern India. She laughingly stated that she had the flexibility of a No. 2 pencil, but after a year became a passible student.
- Quite a private person, she often finds delight in old movies, family trips, and a large stack of both fiction and non-fiction reads.