Biography Profile / Wiki Information
- Briahna Joy Gray is an American former law practitioner, columnist, political editor and the current national press secretary for Senator and Democratic Presidential candidate, Bernie Sanders.
- Smart, outspoken and passionate, Briahna is not afraid to speak up for her values and beliefs even when people disagree with her.
Personal Life & Family Background :
- Born in 1985, Briahna was raised in North Carolina.
- Gray is a descendant of forefathers who were slaves & spent a lot of time working very hard in order to send their children to good, private schools because they felt that public schools were not offering the quality education their children could benefit from.
- Her parents worked as international schoolteachers and were able to provide free private schooling for their children.
- Briahna took violin classes for 13 years when she was still in school.
Early Life & Education :
- In 2007, Gray graduated from Harvard University with a degree in the History of Art and the History of Science.
- In 2011, she graduated from Harvard Law School with a Juris Doctorate.
Job, Salary & Net Worth :
- Gray began her career working as a summer associate for Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP. She was also a contributing editor, working for a local current affairs publication.
- In March of 2012, she joined Eastern District of New York (EDNY) and began working as a law clerk. She left in March of 2013.
- Briahna moved to Dewey Pegno & Kramarsky LLP in 2014 and spent four years working for the firm as an associate.
- Moving from law to politics, Briahna joined the publication The Intercept in May of 2018 as a senior politics editor & has been working for the firm, while based in New York City.
- In addition to being a politics editor for The Intercept, Gray also contributes as an opinion columnist, focusing on various social and political issues from a progressive point of view. As a political, legal and social writer, Gray has written several pieces that have been featured in popular publications such as New York Magazine, The Guardian, Current Affairs, Rolling Stone as well as The Week.
- Gray has also been featured in a documentary on Fusion called ‘Trumpland: Kill all Normies’ in addition to being a part of numerous online shows and podcasts on platforms like The Young Turks, The Real News and NPR.
- Briahna also co-hosted a podcast titled ‘Someone’s Wrong on the Internet (SWOTI)’ where she discuss pop culture and politics from a leftist’s point of view.
The Bernie Campaign :
- More recently, Briahna announced the National Press Secretary for Senator Bernie Sanders’ 2020 Presidential campaign.
- Gray joins 15 other new appointees and 9 women who are part of Senator Sanders’ team. The team of talented women includes Arianna Jones (Communications Director), Sarah Ford (Deputy Communications Director) etc.
- Her appointment saw her replace Symone Sanders who was Bernie’s press secretary during his unsuccessful 2016 presidential campaign.
Interesting Facts, Height & Trivia :
- Gray loves science fiction and is a big fan of the Star Trek franchise. When she is not using her social media accounts as a platform to discuss social and political issues, she loves to talk about her love for Star Trek.
- In the 2016 Presidential campaign, Briahna voted for Jill Stein, a fact endorsed by many Bernie supporters.